60 vs 63

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 60 vs 63

Post by jdaw1 »

Axel P wrote:and the 91-92 tasting on 24.
No tasting in the evening of Thursday 24th April. We won’t have the time to arrange things, nor the sober competence to arrange them well, nor the palate to appreciate them. Instead we might have a few beers, and perhaps a drinking of donated leftovers.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

With the organisation up front you are correct, Julian
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Axel P wrote:With the organisation up front you are correct, Julian
Axel - if you are not flying home directly after BFT, i'll give you an email about organising a small tasting in the evening. Am happy to do organisation.
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
Rob: starting from here rather than from where we were six hours ago what do you want done?
Sorry - missed this last week. I think we should explain to Sophia Bergqvist that it is a 60-63 tasting she's attending rather than a 91-92 - i can't see her complaining! If we still have a full complement of 14 when the date comes, she can have my place and i'll be fresh for BFT.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

RAYC wrote:Sorry - missed this last week. I think we should explain to Sophia Bergqvist that it is a 60-63 tasting she's attending rather than a 91-92 - i can't see her complaining! If we still have a full complement of 14 when the date comes, she can have my place and i'll be fresh for BFT.
Well, yes and no. She’s bringing the de la Rosa to that tasting, so is attending that. Which doesn’t prevent an invitation be extended to this tasting as well.
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

Is this still on? Shall I bring something?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Axel P wrote:Is this still on? Shall I bring something?

Axel
I have sent you a PM.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Axel
Just spoke to THRA - still on and he has promised to come up with the definitive theme soon....!

Do we need a re-count on this one to see who is still in and who is now out for this one?
Rob C.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

RAYC wrote:Do we need a re-count on this one to see who is still in and who is now out for this one?
I saw this and saw the long list plus stand-bys and concluded nobody would be likely to drop out. But if they did and a place appeared I would be very grateful to have the opportunity.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

There is a slight problem in that, having heard nothing further about it for a while, a few of us took up an invitation to another event.
Can we postpone this theme given the confusion that has arisen around dates, partly as a result of my own meddling with the 91/92 vs 60vs63 tastings?
Daniel J.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

djewesbury wrote:There is a slight problem in that, having heard nothing further about it for a while, a few of us took up an invitation to another event.
Can we postpone this theme given the confusion that has arisen around dates, partly as a result of my own meddling with the 91/92 vs 60vs63 tastings?
Surely this could work quite well if there are people on the reserve list wanting of seats that have now become freed? Everyone gets a seat somewhere!
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
djewesbury wrote:There is a slight problem in that, having heard nothing further about it for a while, a few of us took up an invitation to another event.
Surely this could work quite well if there are people on the reserve list wanting of seats that have now become freed? Everyone gets a seat somewhere!
Please give my place to someone else. I have committed to the other event in the belief that this one wasn't happening and there is also a chance that work will conspire against me attending either of them.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Dirk has this diaried for the 23rd.

- Where is the other event taking place?

Shall I call TBH?

Incidentally, for those who have already committed to another event, there will be a further opportunity to enjoy Dirk's company this year, probably in Porto. Details TBA, but I have a mind to 'set the tone' by popping an N31..
Last edited by uncle tom on 18:01 Fri 28 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

uncle tom wrote:Dirk has this diaried for the 23rd.

Shall I call TBH?
TBH is still booked under the name of "The Port Forum" - I assume for this event.
Rob C.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote:Dirk has this diaried for the 23rd.

Shall I call TBH?
Tom, I've sent you a PM.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I suggest that we all try to convene together before the end of the evening, subject to our prior commitments. Even if just for a palate-cleansing beer in the Red Lion.
Daniel J.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

I am looking fwd to this event! :D Especially since we have the 66s the night before 88) . So Easter come later this year! :lol: :wink:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:Please give my place to someone else. I have committed to the other event in the belief that this one wasn't happening
Tom, my apologies, I am in the same position as DRT and committed elsewhere for the same reason, so please release my spot; thanks.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:
DRT wrote:Please give my place to someone else. I have committed to the other event in the belief that this one wasn't happening
Tom, my apologies, I am in the same position as DRT and committed elsewhere for the same reason, so please release my spot; thanks.
Sorry Tom, but this event didn’t seems to be moving, so, after much delay, I committed elsewhere.

But still willing to do my usual task.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

RAYC wrote:

Axel
Just spoke to THRA - still on and he has promised to come up with the definitive theme soon....!

Do we need a re-count on this one to see who is still in and who is now out for this one?
I think we do need a recount. Unfortunately I will also be elsewhere the night of 23rd April. However, I do hope to see Dirk the night before at the '66 horizontal.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

WS1 wrote:Hi,

"crunch match"

WS1
First of all, I love Wolfgang. Second of all, I think "crunch match" in this case actually is more fitting than the typical "grudge match", and adds a special German flair to the event.

Second, I am unlikely to be able to attend, as I expect to still be living outside the UK, but please add me to the reserves in the event this changes.

Sounds like it will be a hell of a piss-up, regardless of the specifics of the format (telling a restaurant to leave three cases of unopened and very expensive wines standing up for a week seems...challenging).

I applaud the initiative Tom
woo woo
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

uncle tom wrote: Incidentally, for those who have already committed to another event, there will be a further opportunity to enjoy Dirk's company this year, probably in Porto. Details TBA, but I have a mind to 'set the tone' by popping an N31..
I didn't notice this before. 2014 is turning into a very celebratory year for you Tom.
Daniel J.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Still room for one more? I'm now trying to make sense of the tastings occurring in London during this time period.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote:I'm now trying to make sense of the tastings occurring in London during this time period.
Multiple plans have gone very awry.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
SushiNorth wrote:I'm now trying to make sense of the tastings occurring in London during this time period.
Multiple plans have gone very awry.
...but this event is still on - I'd give Tom a pm / email.
Rob C.