Wed 9th September 2015, Port Fit for a Queen (E2>V)

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Wed 9th September 2015, Port Fit for a Queen (E2>V)

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1, in an email to Johnny Symington, wrote:I have your two bottles (doff hat, thank you kind sir) of the Graham 1952 tawny. I plan bring them refrigerated, not to decant, and serve direct from the bottle. If this is less than perfect, please tell me what should be done.
For the Dalva Golden White 1952, does anybody have a better suggestion than refrigerating, not decanting, and serving direct from the bottle?
I would go along with this - shouldn't be decanted, but perhaps it should be taken from the refrigerator a little before serving and kept in an ice bucket.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Wed 9th September 2015, Port Fit for a Queen (E2>V)

Post by PhilW »

Sounds fine. No need to worry much about removal from fridge, will warm up quick enough on glass anyway. Ice buckets for G52sht and Da52gw worthwhile.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Links:
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

My bottle will be a Cockburn 1963, which WS1 will kindly decant and bring to the tasting.
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you sir. See you then.

(Updates to threads and placemats will happen today.)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Reading between the lines this means that, by Royal Command, we must drink lots and well. We will obey.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

That is rather splendid.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Very good. Noting that she did not say whether she would drop by.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:Very good. Noting that she did not say whether she would drop by.
Or what time, which is rather inconsiderate. Does she know that they don't have skinny fries?
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The Telgraph wrote: The Queen is expected to address the people of Britain and the Commonwealth in a short speech at a Scottish railway station when she sets her record on September 9

The Queen is expected to make a rare public speech thanking her British and Commonwealth subjects for 63 years of support when she becomes our longest-reigning monarch on Wednesday.

Her Majesty, who had originally wanted to spend the landmark day in private, has already bowed to the clamour for a public appearance by agreeing to interrupt her holiday at Balmoral and open a railway in the Borders.

Now she is said to be contemplating going even further by speaking at the end of her journey aboard a steam train, when she would be likely to pay tribute to her great-great-grandmother Queen Victoria, the woman whose record reign she will overtake.

The Queen rarely speaks in public, confining herself to set piece events such as her Christmas message, the State opening of Parliament and speeches at State banquets when she is entertaining or visiting other leaders.
Her Majesty will not be gracing us with her presence, not for Port nor skinny fries.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

On 10th July 2015, by ordinary ‘snail mail’ non-electronic post, jdaw1 wrote:Sir Christopher Geidt KCB, KCVO, OBE
The Private Secretary to Her Majesty The Queen
Buckingham Palace, London SW1A 1AA
10th July 2015
Dear Sir Christopher,

On the 9th of September Her Majesty will surpass Victoria to become our longest-reigning monarch. Some friends and I, some loyal subjects and some citizens of allies, plan to celebrate this occasion with a Port tasting in SE1. The list of Ports is not yet fixed, but is likely to include some bottles from 1952, and some from other excellent years.

It has been reported that “The Queen’s hope is for a quiet day”, so we will celebrate quietly. We are very willing to host a representative of The Queen — whether a member of the Royal family, you, or somebody else — but we do understand that this is unlikely.

We wish Her Majesty the very best on the surpassing of Victoria’s sovereign record.

God save the Queen.

Julian D. A. Wiseman

† Planning for this tasting can be followed at www.ThePortForum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9935
A few days after sending it I realised that I had omitted “The Right Honourable” from Sir Christopher’s titles. Hopefully it was apparent from the rest of the letter that no disrespect was intended.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:A few days after sending it I realised that I had omitted “The Right Honourable” from Sir Christopher’s titles. Hopefully it was apparent from the rest of the letter that no disrespect was intended.
No doubt that is why Her Majesty isn't coming. Nothing else could explain it.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:A few days after sending it I realised that I had omitted “The Right Honourable” from Sir Christopher’s titles. Hopefully it was apparent from the rest of the letter that no disrespect was intended.
No doubt that is why Her Majesty isn't coming. Nothing else could explain it.
I have let down the team. No apology that I could muster would be sufficient—but a feeble apology is all I have. All is ruined and brought to nothing, for want of a title, and I know it, and am truly sorry.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Someone take the boy away. Delete all his posts. And never speak of this again.
Daniel J.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

djewesbury wrote:Someone take the boy away. Delete all his posts. And never speak of this again.
Why? Let us face it the Queen is not a port drinker; so the chances she attending our tasting were always slim. So despite the slightly wrong wording all Ettikette has been served and we can get on with the tasting "underneath the bridge in Southwark".....

:wink:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Oh dear.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

By email, Ben Read wrote:… Dow 60 now standing up in the cellar ready for decanting. I will have a little flexibility on the day so if there is a preferred decanting time let me know.
Similar question from me about Taylor 1963.

Unless there is a contrary consensus, the T63 will be decanted at 14:00.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:
By email, Ben Read wrote:… Dow 60 now standing up in the cellar ready for decanting. I will have a little flexibility on the day so if there is a preferred decanting time let me know.

I propose 15:00 as decant time for all pot from the '60s. Primarily because it is the time I will have to decant the W60 (the alternative for me being 6am) due to other commitments.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:I propose 15:00 as decant time for all port from the '60s. Primarily because it is the time I will have to decant the W60 (the alternative for me being 6am) due to other commitments.
"Port"; I neither own nor intend to bring vintage hallucinogens.

I had forgotten that the Queen will be in Balmoral on Wed. A pity that (The Right Honourable) Sir Christopher does not look like he will turn out to be a secret port lover and join us, but not unexpected; of course he may well be dying to join us, but be busy in Balmoral as well.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:

I propose 15:00 as decant time for all pot from the '60s. Primarily because it is the time I will have to decant the W60 (the alternative for me being 6am) due to other commitments.
I had been thinking of decant times before I'd seen the recent posts. Unfortunately,this is going to be problematic for me since I will be in work and even if I were to be able to decant from work, I will already have had to bring an undecanted bottle with me on the train into work (which wouldn't be ideal). Therefore (and as is the normally the case for me), I will alas have little choice but to decant around 7am.

Incidentally, if Julian is intending issuing a toast to HM at around 5.30pm (when I understand that she formally succeeds QV) followed by a rousing rendition of God Save the Queen then I'm unlikely to make it-my eta being about 6pm!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

idj123 wrote:I had been thinking of decant times before I'd seen the recent posts. Unfortunately,this is going to be problematic for me since I will be in work and even if I were to be able to decant from work, I will already have had to bring an undecanted bottle with me on the train into work (which wouldn't be ideal). Therefore (and as is the normally the case for me), I will alas have little choice but to decant around 7am.
Simple life rule. When there is no choice, there is no choice.
idj123 wrote:Incidentally, if Julian is intending issuing a toast to HM at around 5.30pm (when I understand that she formally succeeds QV) followed by a rousing rendition of God Save the Queen then I'm unlikely to make it-my eta being about 6pm!
You closet republicans will not be allowed to escape so easily. George VI died in his sleep, so the precise time of accession to the throne of Elizabeth II is not known. The loyal toast will be at 6½pm.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=92654#p92654]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:A matter of protocol. At a typical feast the Loyal Toast is done after the food, but before the Port. That sequencing ill fits our arrangements. So I propose that we keep the part of doing it before the Port: we will start, at 6½pm, with the Loyal Toast, done with the Graham Single Harvest Tawny 1952.

Objections are hereby scorned as ‘disloyal’, and ignored. Nay, cast out. The Loyal Toast will be at 6½pm, with the Graham Single Harvest Tawny 1952.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

See you at 6.31.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:See you at 6.31.
Her Majesty’s presence on the throne has caused your presence at a magnificent port tasting. Your niggardly ingratitude is unfitting.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
Her Majesty’s presence on the throne has caused your presence at a magnificent port tasting. Your niggardly ingratitude is unfitting.
I'm sorry, I can't talk about it. I still feel snubbed. After all we did for her.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
+1

I think now is a good time for the team to show some gentlemanly behaviour.

As is fitting in any free society, protesters are free to stand outside the door and refuse to take part so long as they do not infringe the civil liberties of those who do.
Ernest H. Cockburn