A little Belfast festivity

What happened?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

A little Belfast festivity

Post by djewesbury »

JustinK visited Belfast last night and we opened a modest selection of bottles. No tasting notes were written but we enjoyed all the wines:

Dow 63, the lowest-ullaged bottle from a recently acquired small stash, in surprisingly good shape, I remember fine spirit and pepperiness, a little tannin..

Cockburn 70, probably the wine of the night, a surprising amount of fruit, and some lovely spice and structure

Dow 75 - never had it before and was very pleasantly surprised. Rather light, but very pleasant drinking and even with some fruit.

Quarles Harris 83 - again, I'd never had this before and again it was a very pleasant surprise. Goes alongside the Gould Campbell as the best of the vintage in my humble opinion.

I am spending Xmas week itself at the very tip of Cornwall and have just ordered a small selection of good things to be delivered to my hosts. Hope you all have a good festive season and see you in the New Year! I depart for Sweden at the end of June (though I'll still be just a short plane ride away) to take up an exciting new job, after 21 years in Belfast and 25 in Ireland… Let the six months of leaving parties commence… :D

:660033:
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: A little Belfast festivity

Post by DRT »

Congratulations on the new job 88)

I am pleased to see that you and Justin had a pleasant evening. Presumably my invitation was lost in the post? :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:Congratulations on the new job 88)

I am pleased to see that you and Justin had a pleasant evening. Presumably my invitation was lost in the post? :roll:
Your invitation was returned with "Derek isn't allowed to come" written on the envelope… In your handwriting!
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

djewesbury wrote:

Your invitation was returned with "Derek isn't allowed to come" written on the envelope… In your handwriting!
Harsh.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:
djewesbury wrote:

Harsh.
Yes I thought so too.
Daniel J.