Offline 3rd July B&F Red Room - Bring a bottle to share (sighted)

What happened?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Offline 3rd July B&F Red Room - Bring a bottle to share (sighted)

Post by Doggett »

What a fantastic evening! The opportunity to have tasted a Waterloo vintage port and England win on penalties... an evening to savour indeed. Thanks are due to Simon for arranging the tasting. Special thanks to Christopher for sharing his Ferreira 1815 vintage. It is not disrespectful to say that the port was past it’s peak, but at 203 years old that can be forgiven. It was still drinkable and a huge privilege to taste a bottle of port history. Mocha on the nose with grapefruit dominating on the palate. It was an eclectic mix of bottles and all showed pretty well. The company, as always, was top notch and thanks to all for the fine and interesting bottles, four of which I had not had before. A very fine way to celebrate an English victory... Wellington would be proud.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Offline 3rd July B&F Red Room - Bring a bottle to share (sighted)

Post by jdaw1 »

Please post TNs. Especially of it, but of course of all.

Was the ʼ15 fortified? Mid-fermentation?
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Julian,

Arthur Colley was brought up a couple of km from me and last time I looked I lived in Ireland so as we were part of the British empire at the time it’s fair to claim the victory as a joint effort😀🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

Justin K wrote: 21:55 Fri 06 Jul 2018 Julian,

Arthur Colley was brought up a couple of km from me and last time I looked I lived in Ireland so as we were part of the British empire at the time it’s fair to claim the victory as a joint effort😀🇮🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Sir, it is not Julian that controversially claimed Waterloo has an English rather than British victory, but I. It suited my narrative at the time. I am now worried about my next football/Waterloo post as ‘we’ (all those that wish to claim an ‘Empire’ victory) face Sweden and they are responsible for an even finer Waterloo...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YFk6-Mn-8yg

Simon
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote: 12:06 Wed 04 Jul 2018Please post TNs. Especially of it, but of course of all.
Whilst it is clear in your mind, please do so.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

25,000 UK out of UK led European coalition of 118,000 (when the 50,000 Prussians turned up) against 73,000 French. I've even read argued it was a German victory. :)
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Date: Tuesday 3rd July
Theme: Bring a bottle to share (sighted)
Start: from 6.30pm

Links:
Last edited by flash_uk on 12:39 Wed 11 Jul 2018, edited 4 times in total.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Wow. The chance to taste a Waterloo vintage port is a privilege, you guys present are very fortunate, and Christopher very generous.
Sounds like a very interesting evening of different ports (I'll be particularly interested to hear how the Adams '66 [RO] showed), and the old Dalva colheita (I very much enjoyed a 1934 which Wolfgang brought it along to a tasting a few years ago).
Of course, now what on earth are you doing to open if England win their next match?!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

PhilW wrote: 18:12 Tue 10 Jul 2018 Of course, now what on earth are you doing to open if England win their next match?!
I have a G66 on hand for any necessary celebrations.
SCP
Fonseca LBV

Post by SCP »

A thoroughly enjoyable evening in excellent company and a big thank to you all those who joined me on my return to the UK. Two special events of the evening that will live long in the memory: England won a match on penalties; many thanks to Christopher for providing a truly special bottle, the 1815 Ferreira, which really was tasting a piece of history and was the oldest bottle of port that I have tasted by over a century! Overall, the selection of vintages was a well-varied selection and all showed well - evidenced by every VP being scored by at least one person. A standout winner in the Adams 66 (which was scored by nearly all). Many well-deserved honourable mentions for the 1815 Ferreira Garrafeira.

Below is the WoTN scoresheet, with apologies for the long delay as I just didn't get round to shrinking it sufficiently to post here.
20180703 WoTN sheet vsmall.jpg
20180703 WoTN sheet vsmall.jpg (163.18 KiB) Viewed 15294 times