Lord & Lady Roots Off-to-Oman-Line

What happened?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Lord & Lady Roots Off-to-Oman-Line

Post by DRT »

This thread commemorates the evening when we wish our good friends, and the only Royal participants of the Forum, our best wishes as they embark on their adventure in Oman.

To get the ball rolling, here is a picture of Ronnie with his new company car...

:lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Here is a link to my TN of the Ramos Pinto 1994 which I will update throughout toinight and tomorrow.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I like the picture!

Here's our impression of the port we opened for tonight, the Niepoort 1994.

Not too fond of how it's showing. I may switch later to a glass of Otima 20YOT. :roll: :?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote: I may switch later to a glass of Otima 20YOT. :roll: :?
Sounds like a good plan :wink:

I'm glad you like the picture of yourself. Who's the guy standing next to you with the red hat and long white robe? :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So, are The Roots going to tell us something of their plans for their exciting adventure in Oman? What will you be doing? How long will you be there? How on earth are you going to access enough VP to keep you sane? :?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am reliably informed that AHB will be joining us within the next 30 minutes. His bus was late :roll:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Alright, here are some pictures of when we were there last year to check out the place.

This is our new house:

Me acting as the tourist:

LadyR doing after we bbq'ed an endangerd species:

Walking in a surprisingly green spot:

More to come!
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This was our second choice as a home:

Downtown Muscat:

Life in Oman will be work, work, work...:

KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Hello!

I'm in from New Yoik and I have Graham's, just about to filter some.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Aah, glad you could join us Mr Kilbey 88)

Ronnie,

I like the pictures but I am starting to worry that you will be over-worked and will have little time to post on the forum or drink port :shock: Are you sure you can cope with this level of stress in your life? :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:So, are The Roots going to tell us something of their plans for their exciting adventure in Oman? What will you be doing? How long will you be there? How on earth are you going to access enough VP to keep you sane? :?

Derek
LadyR will work for PDO (Petroleum Development Oman) in Muscat, a company in which Shell (her emplyer) participates. We are stationed there for the coming 4 years. She can tell you more into detail what she will be doing there, I don't get much further than telling she's a geologist.

I don't know yet what I'll do there, but I certainly intend to find a job. Hopefully somehow related to wine.

From what I've seen, the supply of VP is extremely limited, but it is possible to find Noval and Noval Nacional (at least in Dubai), so we may come back rather spoiled. Or worse, bored with Nacional. :shock:

I guess we just have to cope with not having so many VP's around. All the more reason to come back from time to time to have a serious offline!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ronnie,

I'm guessing here but I think a Geologist must have something to do with counting sand grains or drawing maps of deserts. I really do hope it's the latter of these otherwise LadyR will be very busy :?

Four years is a long time. You need a port import plan. Do you know if it is possible to post single bottles into the country? If so, I'd be happy to be part of the supply line and I have about 30 single bottle carriers in the loft 88) - It would be just like being in the War where the poeple in the free world post food parcels to those in oppressed lands to keep them alive!

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

It has something to do with computer models. When I see LadyR at work, I always wonder what she does with all those lines on here screen.

Import plan? Not a chance. No shipping of alcohol allowed into the country. People who fly into the country are allowed two bottles each. We made sure to leave some styrofoam packers here, so whenever people come over to visit we can instruct them on what to bring in their luggage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:It has something to do with computer models.
Yes, I've seen those websites too 88) :wink: :lol:

RonnieRoots wrote:Import plan? Not a chance. No shipping of alcohol allowed into the country.
Bummer :x - Out of interest, how cheap can you get flights to Oman from the UK or Netherlands?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'm here! A little late due to unexpectedly being asked out for a meal by my wife - an invitation that comes rarely and is never refused.

I have a Martinez 1994 in front of me that was opened and decanted at 8:30 this morning, this being based on the rather forceful showing of the Ramos Pinto '94 that was the twin of the one Derek is drinking and which we opened last Thursday.

Happy offline everyone! Happy afternoon KillerB!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:I'm here! A little late due to unexpectedly being asked out for a meal by my wife - an invitation that comes rarely and is never refused.

I have a Martinez 1994 in front of me that was opened and decanted at 8:30 this morning, this being based on the rather forceful showing of the Ramos Pinto '94 that was the twin of the one Derek is drinking and which we opened last Thursday.

Happy offline everyone! Happy afternoon KillerB!

Alex
Glad to see you could make it along, AHB, I was starting to think you were sulking after watching the Rugger :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:Import plan? Not a chance. No shipping of alcohol allowed into the country.
Bummer :x - Out of interest, how cheap can you get flights to Oman from the UK or Netherlands?

Derek
Around 500-600 euro (incl. taxes). Apparently it's possible to book as cheap as 300 euro when booking early and doing some thorough internet search.

Hi Alex! Looking forward to your opinion on the Martinez.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Don't mention the rugger - I haven't seen it yet and have a houseful (6) of bloody kids that will be staying overnight and so won't see the game until tomorrow. I don't know the result and don't want to until I watch the game, so please stay mum.

I spent this afternoon at the theatre with Michael watching the Brainiacs Live show. It was really good - a great way to get early teenage children interested in science. Lots of bangs, flashes, smells and smoke. Excellent show. They're doing a tour of the UK and are playing Glasgow Clyde Auditorium on Friday 23rd May if Ross is even mildly interested in Science.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Evening Alex.

I'm going to have to stop this tasting now as I am enjoying it a little too much and Board-O has asked me not to get sozzled on account of having some flipping good wines available.

I can stay on-line for a while watching the deteriorating mental state of the other particpants though.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote: Apparently it's possible to book as cheap as 300 euro when booking early and doing some thorough internet search.
The way things are going that will soon be about £450 :shock: :lol:

But, seriously, if it's possible to get flights for 300 Euro and you will be there for 4 years there is no excuse not to have a TPF Offline while you are there. We need a plan 88)

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

That's pretty cool! Although I must say that I like mythbusters better.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote: Apparently it's possible to book as cheap as 300 euro when booking early and doing some thorough internet search.
The way things are going that will soon be about £450 :shock: :lol:

But, seriously, if it's possible to get flights for 300 Euro and you will be there for 4 years there is no excuse not to have a TPF Offline while you are there. We need a plan 88)

Derek
I agree! The winter months are lovely there.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:I'm going to have to stop this tasting now as I am enjoying it a little too much and Board-O has asked me not to get sozzled
:shock: - you've caught New Yoikers disease already :shock: - you know, the condition that gives you the idea that a grown man can't drink more than half a bottle of port without needing extra medical insurance :roll:

Have some water. You'll be fine :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote: The winter months are lovely there.
When is it winter in Oman? - and is it hotter than summer in Edinburgh?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

November to March, average daytime temperature between 25 and 30 degrees Celsius.