The TPF First Anniversary Offlines

What happened?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm a little worse the wear, so bear with me. I feel Martinez is subtle and light, whereas Fonseca and Dow is powerful. Both types are good in there own ways, but as much as I laud Martinez, nothing beats a Fonseca in its prime.

I love listening to those who haven't got my bias, but still enjoy it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:I don't like the long green coat - it covers her best feature
She's taken the coat off now...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Is that it? Is our Anniversary officially over?

Oh well, onwards and upwards....
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I guess.

I'm still drinking though.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I seem to be the only one left - happy anniversary all.

I'm off to the land of nod...

g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

and the NY guys come online, you british wussies.

I can't even spell any more.

So. Julian threw in a taylor 63 ringer which was brilliant and the oldest port I've ever had.

My fellow port drinkers refused to let me open a 95 grand cru Bordeaux saying such was not the occasion.

Anyhow, the night ended with us getting booted out of a restaurant, to end up at a wine bar, where the owner was trying to push us onto some subpar overly tart 2002 and 2003 merlots that tasted like sour acetic acid.

at least the food was brilliant and the company so.

The wine of the night was clearly the taylor 63.

I'd place my second at the martinez 97. ... drinking well now, after 2 full days of decant, but not exactly a "wow"er ...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:I guess.

I'm still drinking though.
btw us nyers are insulted you guys in london forgot about us.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

oh and if you guys come across any puff pastries with fluffy pastry and really light whip cream, the warres otima 10yr tawny is spot on.

If you have chocolate molten cake, the taylor 63 is so hard to beat. I wouldn't be able to say anything more.

a happy anniversary from the other side of the atlantic.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

happy anniversary to all, the missus has already passed out and I'm shortly following with the port gods whispering sweet nothings in my ear.

G'nite to all,!!!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

G'nite John-boy
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Ready for the mountain Derek?

While we didn't spend much time online yesterday evening, we had a very pleasant time celebrating TPF's first anniversary. It was especially good to be able to taste vintage port again after a long time... I'm happy we saved the bottle for this occasion. :)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:G'nite John-boy
i think that show was before my time =)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
DRT wrote:G'nite John-boy
i think that show was before my time =)
It wasn't before mine and I'm sure many others here remember it well :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I was drunk from the LBV before I left to a couple of turkish friends to enjoy the quarter-final with them, but I was totally hammered when I came back tonight.

Please do not ever tell me again, Germany good lucky somehow.

The LBV is still very good, but not too strong from my point of view.

What an evening.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

20 June 2008: review

Post by jdaw1 »

Indeed, :tpf: is graced with a splendid fellow who led the editing and writing of the how-we-do-tastings guide. Such initiative and enthusiasm is welcomed. However, this lead editor had never actually attended a :tpf: tasting — so we can think of this as a practical test of the guide. Note to self: amend guide to say that the table should be booked for the whole evening, not for ninety minutes.

We repaired outside into a not-cold-not-hot evening with still air, and sat on the benches, finishing the lesser ports (the T63 and the half of TV88 having died inside), and two of us partook of Bolivar Royal Coronas, vintage 1999. Then to a wine bar, where we purchased a set of surprisingly good New-York-state sweet whites, and were given two merlots. The merlots tasted as would merlots after Taylor 1963.

Pictures, such as they are, to follow.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

no Martinez ports listed

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:I think I've just spotted a problem with the TN Index. There are no Martinez ports listed :shock:

I went looking for my own M85 notes (I think I have done at least 2) and found no Martinez vintages listed in the index. Using the search facility I found loads.

Please can Jdaw investigate?
No update in a while. Presumably no Martinez before the last update. Or a SNAFU. A week or so ago I did ask Brother Alex K for the data, but nothing happened.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

People in New York, on 20th June 2008

Post by jdaw1 »

Left-to-right: jdaw1; Stephanie who is fiancé of; Jeff; and Josh aka SushiNorth.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: no Martinez ports listed

Post by RonnieRoots »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:I think I've just spotted a problem with the TN Index. There are no Martinez ports listed :shock:

I went looking for my own M85 notes (I think I have done at least 2) and found no Martinez vintages listed in the index. Using the search facility I found loads.

Please can Jdaw investigate?
No update in a while. Presumably no Martinez before the last update. Or a SNAFU. A week or so ago I did ask Brother Alex K for the data, but nothing happened.
The problem is that Martinez is listed under Harvey's, which is only correct for a limited number of Martinez' ports.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Conky is officially not wrong.

Post by jdaw1 »

Conky wrote:nothing beats a Fonseca in its prime
Conky is officially not wrong.

Harvey’s — doh! I’d forgotten that. Well found.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Well there we go, I actually made it back :)

Yes, having never gone to a TPF offline before (nor tried holding a tasting at a new place on a fri) I had the unpleasant surprise of "you've got til 7:30." I should note that a time limit was not mentioned either of the three times i spoke with restaurant staff, only "bring cash" and "a port tasting sounds great, welcome." This is different from sake tastings, where we simply carry on all night (but with less wine or tasting preparation). I'll certainly be amending the "how-to" to include "reserve for the night," though it will probably keep us from such tiny establishments in the future as they need to turn the tables over.

We all arrived at La Sirene between 6 to 6:30, having begun on Jeff's rose. We conducted the tasting from oldest to youngest on the VPs (T63, T88, M97), then the T94 LBV and the Warres Otima 10Yr Tawny. I believe everyone was happy with their food, which included calamari salad, foie gras, and escargot for appetizers then a filet mignon (mostly mooing), lamb (in a creamy sauce), and pork (in a chocolate mole sauce). We completed the meal with Profiterols, Choux Chantilly, and a dark chocolate cake. All the food was excellent (unless someone would like to report otherwise), and my favorite of the desserts was the vanilla Choux Chantilly, which I found a lovely counterbalance to the port.
The foods can be found, in detail, on their menu

The owner?/chef (Didier) stopped by to visit us a few times, though we were a bit rushed as the hour drew close to 7:30. At that point we hung around outside while Jeff and Julian enjoyed the cigars; Didier joined us a few times, and eventually we made ourselves comfortable on their porch for an hour or more while the remaining bottles were passed around (M97, T94LBV). It is also worth mentioning that at least one couple inquired, around 6:45, as to what was going on in our the corner and they were told proudly by the La Sirene staff that a Port Tasting was underway.

After departing La Sirene, we made our way to Vintage wine shop/tasting house for some ice wines and a couple complimentary (or not!) glasses of merlot. Their duck meat balls were very nice, I don't recall the other dishes.

So, after stumbling home only to find myself quite ill the following morning, I suffered for the Port with a four hour car ride. At our destination, in a "hospitality suite," there was a half-empty bottle of "Sandeman's Special Reserve" amidst the collection of scotches and bourbons. I declined.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote: So, after stumbling home only to find myself quite ill the following morning, I suffered for the Port with a four hour car ride. At our destination, in a "hospitality suite," there was a half-empty bottle of "Sandeman's Special Reserve" amidst the collection of scotches and bourbons. I declined.
Welcome to the world of :tpf: port tastings :wink: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Port tastings leave me feeling wonderful

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:
SushiNorth wrote: So, after stumbling home only to find myself quite ill the following morning, I suffered for the Port with a four hour car ride. At our destination, in a "hospitality suite," there was a half-empty bottle of "Sandeman's Special Reserve" amidst the collection of scotches and bourbons. I declined.
Absolutely untrue comment by DRT. Port tastings leave me feeling wonderful. Full of energy and life — albeit also needing a little nap.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Port tastings leave me feeling wonderful

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:
Absolutely untrue comment by DRT. Port tastings leave me feeling wonderful. Full of energy and life — albeit also needing a little nap.
Especially with after lunch poo.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I usually find that all the water that If drink keeps me leaping out of bed and dashing for the bathroom during the night.

At least if I ever get kidney stones then I know how to flush them out! A Port Tasting will be called for!

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: The TPF First Anniversary Offlines

Post by SushiNorth »

Taylor LBV 1994, Taylor Vargellas VP 1988

Sediment from LBV 1994

Vargellas cork, closeup

Vargellas Sediment

Group photo #1

Group photo #sloshed
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope