Graham’s 1977

Port in Paris; October 23rd, 2009

Post by Glenn E. »

Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Port in Paris; October 23rd, 2009

Post by Glenn E. »

The restaurant - Au Relais des Buttes-Chaumont in Paris - was really quite fabulous. Strangely, though, it was nearly empty except for us the entire night. There was one other table for 2 and there might have been one single, but that's it. It's close to a Metro stop, it's close to a nice park, the food was very good, and the staff was attentive. (Though that last might have had something to do with the glasses of Port that Julian fed them. :wink:) The only possible explanation is that it was a tad expensive - 250 Euros for 5 people (entree, plat, dessert) without any wine purchased - but I felt that it was appropriate for the quality level if not even on the inexpensive side. I've had much more expensive meals that couldn't have held a candle to this one.

Lighting was typical for a restaurant - low intensity, very yellow, and very artificial - so it wasn't possible for me to note much about the color. It was obvious that the Qv07 was the darkest and most opaque of the flight, but I could have told you that in an unlighted cave.

The restaurant has a mascot, too - a retired and decorated police dog who was very friendly while we were getting situated.

I highly recommend Au Relais des Buttes-Chaumont to anyone visiting Paris, especially if you'd like to bring a bottle in with you.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What did you think of the ports?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Generally speaking, I thought they were all good. (My TNs have been posted in the appropriate threads.)

I liked the S. Luiz the best, but only narrowly over the Quevedo. Both fall into my favorite age ranges - the S. Luiz is nearly fully mature, while the Quevedo is very (very) young. It's difficult to compare Ports with such disparate ages because they're as different as apples and hard cider. One might some day become the other, but they're just not the same thing.

The Churchill qualifies as most surprising. I never would have guessed that it would be that good. It needs another 10 years or so, and may move up within the 1985 hierarchy during that time. I only wish that I could find it in the US, as I'd love to add it to my growing 1985 horizontal. And lay down a 6-pack for drinking, too.

The Taylor was odd. I'm not sure it was a bad bottle - just open too long - but others have said that it must have been bad because one day in decanter shouldn't have caused it to deteriorate as badly as it seemed to have deteriorated.

I finished off the Quevedo the next evening and it was still going strong. Good stuff!
Glenn Elliott