Beating the (New Year) Blues - Tuesday 5th January 2010

What happened?
benread
Niepoort 1977

Beating the (New Year) Blues - Tuesday 5th January 2010

Post by benread »

Despite the weather, swine flu and various other impediments, we did manage (what I believe to be) the first TPF offline of 2010, this side of the Atlantic!

In the end we were 4 - WS1, Cookie, Christopher and myself. Nothing complicated was attempted, just 4 nice bottles of port and the ever hospitable Crusting Pipe. As ever we were extremely well looked after and I would suggest that this becomes a regular event given the lack of custom they otherwise seem to have. I think it is our duty! (Those attending will know what I mean!)

For the sake of ease, I will create links to Tasting Notes as follows:

Offley Boa Vista 1970
Croft 1970
Warre 1977
Noval 1985

What was most interesting was the way the different bottles developed at different stages of the evening, with the OBV 1970 showing well early on but not later, and the Croft and Warre taking a little time to show their best. The Noval stayed the course!

Great to see those that could make it, and here is hoping to see them and others in February!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Beating the (New Year) Blues - Tuesday 5th January 2010

Post by benread »

Having just finished posting my (brief) tasting notes, I am still stuck to pick a wine of the night. First impressions would have suggested the 1970 OBV but with time, I think the 1970 Croft shaded it. All were great ports and despite Christopher's late arrival, and our enforced early departure (the authorities had closed Covent Garden early to take down Christmas decorations!) we finished all 4 bottles with no trouble or take away samples!

As a final note, WS1 has suggested we need monthly offlines and is very keen on a Vesuvio theme for February! I have created an appropriate thread to establish interest. One assumes AHB may be keen.....!
Last edited by benread on 02:17 Wed 06 Jan 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Ben
-------
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm sorry that I missed this. Despite the fact that I didn't find a reason to work in London this week I would not have managed to get there due to being snowed-in at home :roll:

Thanks for the notes, Ben :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote:despite Christopher's late arrival, and our enforced early departure (the authorities had closed Covent Garden early to take down Christmas decorations!) we finished all 4 bottles with no trouble or take away samples!
Good work, Team :tpf: :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
benread wrote:despite Christopher's late arrival, and our enforced early departure (the authorities had closed Covent Garden early to take down Christmas decorations!) we finished all 4 bottles with no trouble or take away samples!
Good work, Team :tpf: :wink:
Having made it home through snow that is heavier than February or December 2009 in Reigate, I am confident I shall be working from home tomorrow. That being the case, I have tucked into an open 1983 OBV!
Ben
-------
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

benread wrote: Having made it home through snow that is heavier than February or December 2009 in Reigate, I am confident I shall be working from home tomorrow. That being the case, I have tucked into an open 1983 OBV!
With 4 inches of fresh snow on the hill outside my house I am confident that any attempt to reach the office tomorrow will be futile. The V97 may require a "chaser" :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

DRT wrote:
benread wrote: Having made it home through snow that is heavier than February or December 2009 in Reigate, I am confident I shall be working from home tomorrow. That being the case, I have tucked into an open 1983 OBV!
With 4 inches of fresh snow on the hill outside my house I am confident that any attempt to reach the office tomorrow will be futile. The V97 may require a "chaser" :wink:
The latter statement begs this question!
Ben
-------
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Ben
Thanks for arranging this, very enjoyable evening even if i was very late and as sadly too oftern happens I had my starter as everyone else had puds. The Croft was my Port of the evening. TCP is an excellent location and they do look after us very well.

Looking forward to the Feb tasting!

Rgds
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Ben,

also thank you very much for bring up the idea (Beating the (New Year) Blues ) and organising this. It was a great evening. Got the boat home to the Docklands; was very impressive to travel in the dark on the Thames when it was heavily snowing.

Looking fwd to the Vesuvio vertical

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain