9th March 2010 - the Crusting Pipe - Bring a Bottle

What happened?
Deleted_User_1

9th March 2010 - the Crusting Pipe - Bring a Bottle

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

What a splendid evening yet again with good company, good food and no duffers to drink (late TCP purchases aside). Many thanks to Woolfgang for heading this one up.

We seemed to have guzzled all of the wine by 8.30 between great bouts of humour with the highlights being Chris's damp arrival and Woolgangs suggestion of a 'wife tasting' some time soon. :D.

Good to meet Mark who, in my opinion brought the WOTN being the Warres 1983, followed closely by the Taylors TF 1986.(For the purist I know this is a single Quinta but still was worth the outing) These wines were very similar but I think the W'83 edged it.

Once again a great success and look forward to the next true offline.

Cookie
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 9th March 2010 - the Crusting Pipe - Bring a Bottle

Post by Axel P »

Either I am too blind to find, but did any of you post a list with the ports of the evening? If not, please do so.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Ray,

it was indeed a splendid evening. I think we can use this as a definition of a true offline. :wink: :lol: . Just to put things right, I wanted to refer to the word wine tasting and at the slip of my tongue (non native english) I came up by accident with the creation "wife tasting" after Darren mentioned his wife does do all the buying of Port etc.. Since you all found my silly word combination very funny I fear I created another abbreviation similar to do a "KillerB". :lol:
For me was as well the Warre 1983 the WOTN followed by the Taylors TF 1986. Then followed Croft 1982, Niepoort 2003, Taylor 1980 (purchase in the Crusting Pipe) Croft 2000, Warre 1970 and Warre 1977. The Warre 1970 and Warr 1977 were in my eyes not good bottles. The 1970 Warre got much better over time but the nose never was really good and always a bit dead. The Warre 1977 was nowhere near as good as Christophers bt sourced from Berry Brothers. The two bts of Croft 1985 had unfortunately VA. Therefore they could not be consumed and do not count.

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Sounds like a fun evening, though bad luck with having so many off bottles :shock:. I've been wanting to try some of the older Terra Feitas for a while (I really should just get my act together and try to buy some!) so I'm looking forward to a tasting note on that.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The ports: Wines marked "*" were purchase on the night at TCP due to a world record consumption of 1 bottle each in less than 2 hours, which included dinner :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Having now created all of the TN threads and posted the results of the team guesses of each of the wines served blind I am pleased to report that we scored 10 points out of a possible 84. The individual results, with a maximum of 12 points available per contestant, were as follows:
  • DJP - 3 points
  • DRT - 3 points
  • AHB - 2 points
  • RLC - 2 points
  • WS1 - 2 points
  • CSD - 0 points
  • MKD - 0 points
Not exactly pulling up trees on the blind tasting front, are we, team?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi Derek,

indeed you are right. We need to improve!!! Hence we should organise a workshop :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:

I think this will enable us to get better! Points to be discussed and evaluated:

- two session flight offlines - are they really needed?
- should we have a permanent table/desk at the Crusting pipe?

etc. :lol: :lol: :lol: :nirvana:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain