TPF hosts Oscar Quevedo

What happened?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

TPF hosts Oscar Quevedo

Post by g-man »

I would like to thank Oscar for making his way out to NY to visit us humbly in NY.

Embarassingly, due to the warm NY weather no wines were in tow but Oscar did share with us his 96 tawny which I find absolutely marvelous.

Goes in like a fine LBV and finishes like an excellent tawny.

Loads of strawberries, dark cherry fruit and currants on the entry, it dries up, coats the palate and goes down with some fine honeyed walnuts and cedar notes that lingers on the palate for a good 45 seconds.

Absolutely awesome tawny and well worthwhile to seek out.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: TPF hosts Oscar Quevedo

Post by Glenn E. »

He's due in Seattle next, and then he'll be off to LA. I'm probably crazy, but I'm actually going to drive down to LA. (That's 19 hours at 62 mph for you Euros, or slightly farther than driving from London to Naples, Italy.)
Glenn Elliott
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

If you have some time to make a stop, I can suggest the Bernardus Lodge in Carmel Valley.
http://www.bernardus.com

Great wines!

btw. us Euros would not drive at average speed 62mph.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

smisse wrote: btw. us Euros would not drive at average speed 62mph.
And we Californian's don't either. He drives that slow in Cali he's liable to get shot :lol:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
And we Californian's don't either. He drives that slow in Cali he's liable to get shot :lol:
My tiny little car has what is essentially a 1 liter/3 cylinder motorcycle engine. It also has less than an 8' wheelbase. At speeds much above 62 mph it gets very squirrelly on the road - especially if there are any cross winds - so I try to keep my speed down for safety. 88)

In my Chevy Tahoe high speeds are no problem at all, but in a smart car it's a different story. I've driven it faster than 62 many times, but it's tiring to do for any great distance because it requires so much concentration.

But don't worry, I keep up with traffic. If everyone else is driving 80 (as Californians allegedly do), then I'll keep up so that I'm not a road hazard!
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:
My tiny little car has what is essentially a 1 liter/3 cylinder motorcycle engine. It also has less than an 8' wheelbase. At speeds much above 62 mph it gets very squirrelly on the road - especially if there are any cross winds - so I try to keep my speed down for safety. 88)

In my Chevy Tahoe high speeds are no problem at all, but in a smart car it's a different story. I've driven it faster than 62 many times, but it's tiring to do for any great distance because it requires so much concentration.

But don't worry, I keep up with traffic. If everyone else is driving 80 (as Californians allegedly do), then I'll keep up so that I'm not a road hazard!
All those mile times I hear about, I'm surprised yer not running to LA.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Glenn E. wrote:He's due in Seattle next, and then he'll be off to LA. I'm probably crazy, but I'm actually going to drive down to LA. (That's 19 hours at 62 mph for you Euros, or slightly farther than driving from London to Naples, Italy.)
Presumably that's the average worked out from 8 hours at 145mph to travel from Seattle to LA and then 11 hours driving from one side of LA to the other at 2 mph.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:He's due in Seattle next, and then he'll be off to LA. I'm probably crazy, but I'm actually going to drive down to LA. (That's 19 hours at 62 mph for you Euros, or slightly farther than driving from London to Naples, Italy.)
Presumably that's the average worked out from 8 hours at 145mph to travel from Seattle to LA and then 11 hours driving from one side of LA to the other at 2 mph.
Alex,
You've obviously been here before :lol:
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote:
Exactly! :lol:
Glenn Elliott
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

g-man wrote:I would like to thank Oscar for making his way out to NY to visit us humbly in NY.

Embarassingly, due to the warm NY weather no wines were in tow but Oscar did share with us his 96 tawny which I find absolutely marvelous.

Goes in like a fine LBV and finishes like an excellent tawny.

Loads of strawberries, dark cherry fruit and currants on the entry, it dries up, coats the palate and goes down with some fine honeyed walnuts and cedar notes that lingers on the palate for a good 45 seconds.

Absolutely awesome tawny and well worthwhile to seek out.
G-man, it was my pleasure to meet you in NY, once again! Hope next time is in the Douro!

Glenn, please drive carefully, we don't want you to get carsick before the tasting!