Grande KOPKE Colheita vertical from 1935 - 1995

What happened?
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Grande KOPKE Colheita vertical from 1935 - 1995

Post by christopherpfaff »

At 16th of March ten Port lovers take part at a great KOPKE Colheita vertical in Frankfurt / Germany. We tasted 11 KOPKE Colheitas from 1935 to 1995, with a minimum of one Colheita per decade. There were some bottles with significant bottle age and some were bottled in the last two years. So we had a very good compare, how Colheitas develop with bottle age. The most of the participant prefer the "fresh" bottles, but in my opinion the older ones with 10 or 20 years in bottle show very interesting notes, but are not so powerful.

Pictures from the tasting can be found at my website: http://www.passion-port.de. The website is availible in german and english language.

Tasting notes:

1935 (bottled 1984): An outstanding year in the Douro region, of which there are surprisingly very little Colheitas. Was found in a beautiful brown-red with green trim. The nose has a sweet note of pickled plum and a touch of acidity. On the palate could tell him the long aging in the bottle, not as powerful, but rather medium-bodied, but with very good structure, dried fruit, lightly malty. Nice acidity makes him remain fresh and balanced. With air was still much better, the finish was long and harmonious. 18
1938 (bottled 1988): Special filling the 350 year anniversary in a bottle, the shape of the port bottle was inspired by the 18th century. In the color very similar to the 35s, a little more amber tones. Fascinating nose - a mixture of honey and pickled plums. On the palate, quite full bodied. The taste is somewhere between wild honey, plum jam and raisins. Alcohol perfectly integrated. Denser than in 1935, also in the long finish harmonious acidity, this port gives life and experience. 18.5
1947 (bottled 1990): A little brighter reddish brown than the two older ones. The nose was somewhat more restrained and dominated by dried fruit and caramel. On the palate the least dense and heavy, almost playful lightness and elegance. However, no appetisers but marked by a distinctive acid, which puts something in front of the flavor of dried fruits, served slightly smoky notes. Works in the medium long finish somewhat rustic, slightly alcoholic. 17.5
1952 (bottled 2012): Nice dark amber brown with red highlights. On the nose, slight acid, dried fruit, caramel and slight malt behind it. The palate shows a Colheita of dense structure, the notes of dried fruit are more in the background. Medium sweet, complex and long lasting. The finish is long, is harmonic and is accompanied by a refreshing, yet pleasant acidity. Just bottled worthy example of an old Colheitas. 18.5
1957 (bottled 2010): Also distinguishing brownish red with green rim. Little difference to 35 and 38 in color. In the mouth and nose, but significant differences that resulted from the shorter storage time in the bottle. On the nose strong notes of figs, raisins and caramel, which is also mirrored on the palate. Full-bodied, stronger than the other two. Seemed quite muscular and therefore not that old, but good structure and nice acidity, the sweetness offsetting well. The finish is long. This is a very good old Colheita, which was named because of its power from the participants of the "Frankfurt tasting" to the winner of the day. 18.5
1966 (bottled 2012): Age Typical color and pleasant nose. On the palate initially quite succinct acid, accompanied by dried fruit from mature. Young people are combining freshness and strength. The finish is long and offers the flavors of the palate, slightly malty and smoky tones. Right now more powerful than elegant. 18
1967 (bottled 1992): This port has to be noted that in relation to the barrel aging (25 years) long bottle aging (20 years). In color it was only in shades seen in a little more brown. On the nose, hint of farm animals, however, vanished with the more time in the glass. On the palate, elegant than the "fresh" specimens, not as superficially sweet dried fruit flavors, but more mature and reserved. Seemed rather one-dimensional but still with good acidity, the finish was a sufficient but striking. I like this type, but is certainly not for everyone. 17
1968 (bottled 1994): In the color slightly lighter brown-red as the '67. On the palate, very cautious in the background was ripe apricot and acid audible. On the palate, quite similar to the '67. Light to medium body, noticeable acidity, almost fruity, medium sweet little complex, but very pleasant to drink. The finish was rather short. Profititert has not necessarily from the longer bottle aging. 17
1974 (bottled 2012): nice aged brown brick with sharp reflexes, almost indistinguishable from the 78s. Very nice bouquet which is supported by ripe figs, dates and raisins, served Mediterranean spicy touch. On the palate, full bodied, almost oily texture. Surprisingly, low acidity and a pleasant sweetness, the notes in the nose are confirmed on the palate nicely and multiply in a really long finish. Of this port again brings into full play. 18
1978 (bottled 2005): nice aged brown brick with sharp reflexes. Restrained nose, the palate is very similar to '74 but not quite as opulent. Beautiful mature dry fruit flavors and a medium long finish. 17.5
1982 (bottled 2012): Strong brownish red, seductive in the nose. On the palate, full bodied and distinct sweetness. This Colheita before bursting strength. A pleasant fruity and typical ratio of matured notes (dried fruit, plums). In the finish a good acidity that gives freshness that port and I think a bit more interesting than the '84. 17.5
1984 (bottled 2011): In the color palate and little difference to 1982. On the palate and the finish of the '84 is slightly sweet and acts not as well balanced. Nevertheless, a very ordinary Colheita, but the depth and complexity of most 20y Tawnis can not hold a candle. 17
1995 (bottled 2007): A very young bottled Colheita is neither fish nor fowl. Overall, one-dimensional but rather with significantly more fruity character. Nice to drink, medium bodied, clear sweetness, light Malztöne. Shows are not the characteristics that I think should be the defining features of a good Colheita. The finish is quite short, in this league, I would generally prefer the 10y Tawny of their respective producer. Although they are usually a few euros more expensive, however, show by blending (in which a number of older vintages are used) a broader flavor structure. 16.5

Summary:
The tasting have confirmed impressively that Kopke has for decades consistently produced at a very high level Colheitas in a consistent style. The older Kopke Colheitas bursting with energy in their youth, are extremely smooth and wonderfully balanced by the acid effect and not sticky. The ports do have the potential in the bottle for another two to three decades to mature, which means that they are more elegant and less full-bodied, but not necessarily more complex. Most participants preferred the taste "fresh" bottled. As for those age groups seem to me at this Colheitas less important and less differierend than vintage ports to be. From mediocre years (eg 1938, 1952, 1957) emerged Colheitas excellent, confirming the style impressive, but characteristic of the vintage differences is difficult to detect, oxidative certainly due to the long expansion, left. Shall apply in my view, similar to Madeira, "do not choose it by vintage, producer choose it by."

"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Grande KOPKE Colheita vertical from 1935 - 1995

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for posting very interesting.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

christopherpfaff wrote:From mediocre years (eg 1938, 1952, 1957) emerged Colheitas excellent
A theory has been discussed, though I'm not aware of any concensus on the matter, that "off year" Colheitas are so good because the best grapes weren't all used to make Vintage Port.

Of course, the '66 Kopke is a contrary example, though it could still conform to the theory if the harvest were sufficiently large to allow some "best grapes" to be used for both.

I wish I could have been there - that's my kind of tasting! :nirvana:
Glenn Elliott
Deleted_User_1

Post by Deleted_User_1 »

I wish I could have been there - that's my kind of tasting! :nirvana:[/quote]

Me too...good juice :)