Beaujolais

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Beaujolais

Post by Michael M. »

There are IMO few regions which have a better QPR than the Beaujolais. I am not talking about the Beaujolais Nouveau rubbish but about the Crus of the Beaujalais. For about 5-6 EUR you will get a serious authentic wine which often has a great aging potential. Among the producers we visited I would highlight the following ones.

Château des Jacques for its Moulin à Vents and Château de la Lumière for its Morgons. Both Domaines, owned by Louis Jadot, are one of the leaders of the region. We got a very interesting guiding by the director, Mr. Jacques Lardière. The 2005 Morgon Côte de Py was a truly fantastic wine with a hugh aging potential. According to Mr. Lardière this wine will probably survive our 4 and 7 years old children. He talked about Morgons and Moulin à Vents of the nineteen-twenties which are in a perfect condition.

One completly different thing is the rather small Domaine de Montplain (100.000 bottles/year) situated near Villié Morgon. The owner is Mr. Roland Petit and his wife Marie Paule. It was very impressive for me that the whole lineup was of such a constant and astonishing quality. His Beaujolais Rosé is fresh, fruity and tight- a perfect summer wine at 3,85 EUR. His Beaujolais Blanc matched fantastically with veal and his 2007 Morgon (5,60 EUR) was a smooth and spicy Red to drink over the next 3-5 years.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Michael, you are correct, Beaujolais has its gem and they are not too expensive.

If you want to pay a little more, dig for the wines from Chamonard, Foillard and Guy Breton especially. They are among the very best producers.

Guy Breton Vieilles Vignes 2005 is my favourite Beaujolais to date.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Been drinking some Beaujolais this summer and have to agree. Not much else in France outside of Loire gives such a value.

Love Morgon's especially with the thick red wax capsoles!