Very old fino

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Very old fino

Post by uncle tom »

Sherry is so out of fashion, one wonders for the livelihoods of the workers in Jerez - perhaps they are all building villas for ex-pats these days...

Anyway, I got hold of a few bottles of Don Zoilo 'very old and very dry' Fino (also very cheap..!)

The carton in which they came was dated 1985, and appeared to have lived in a cellar.

T stoppered bottles - nothing unusual

Pale amber colour in the glass

On the nose there is more than a whiff of VA, on the palate it is indeed incredibly dry.

At first I was not greatly wowed, - but it grows on you.

Indeed it is strangely addictive - the desire to pour another glass seems ever-present... :roll:

Odd!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

The dryness sounds fantastic.

Post by jdaw1 »

The dryness sounds fantastic.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I'll save a bottle for you :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hang on a minute...Its as easy as that???

Uncle Tom,

The dryness sounds fantastic. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Uncle Tom: thank you.

Post by jdaw1 »

Uncle Tom: thank you.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

(yawn..) I'll save another bottle as well...

Tom :D :D
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

¿£?

Post by jdaw1 »

Let me be very serious here. A precedent is being set that will encourage a flood of me-to people seeking free booze. I do not want to be labelled as such. Tom: you must PM me with the amount owed, which is to be the higher of: your purchase cost (plus interest if it was long ago); and the current ‘fair market value’, plus buyer’s premium and other costs not included in this fair price. My bank knows your account details, so payment will be electronic.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Jdaw1,

Relax. I've bought bottles off Tom on more than one occassion in the past. I know I was joking and so does Tom. Anyone who's daft enough to fall for it, and think they might cadge a free one, deserves the dissapointment that will follow.

Now where were we...oh thats right, the dryness sounds fantastic.

Alan
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

What? No cadging? But... but... the dryness sounded so fantastic :cry:
Port is basically a red drink
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Tennants Extra

Post by jdaw1 »

Yes, you know each other. I have met AHB only twice, and the rest of you never. You don’t know me from the random tramp round the corner (except that you might guess I don’t drink Tennants Extra). Hence I must be more careful about matters of reputation. Or maybe I’m just more paranoid.

Back to the subject: oddly, though I love port, and Malmsey is my favourite Madeira grape, for my palate sherry and beer (e.g.) must be dry.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Jdaw1,

well done, you relaxed, :)
So Port is 'generally' sweet. I've never had Malmsey, but know its reputation to be sweet, and the other two are dry. Sounds like you have quite a varied Palate. I lean definitely towards the sweet tooth. As you know when you and Derek derided my love for Glayva! My only exception is the occasional Claret. I always find them dry. They are, aren't they?

And if the tramp around the corner drinks Tennants Extra, he's Scottish, so I suspect we know him as well...Dont we Derek!
Alan