1980 Chateau Palmer

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1980 Chateau Palmer

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

An odd bottle I've had for a while, bought on Michael Broadbent's comment that this is one of the better wines of the vintage.

Deep red colour, showing some browning from age. Classic, austere barn-yard nose full of straw and strawberry. Medium bodied, fruity and balanced with noticeable and slightly green tannins. Lovely flavours but with tannins which constantly try to dominate. Big aftertaste, with some fresh licorice root and a long and dry finish. Very drinkable, if a little austere. 87/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1980 Chateau Palmer

Post by KillerB »

I like Palmer, especially the classic pencil-lead flavours associated with all Margaux wines. It's something I find particularly attractive along with the perfumed bouquet. I'm surprised that it still has such overwhelming tannins at 30 years old. I had the 88 a couple of years ago and it was lovely. I have a 90 'resting'.
Port is basically a red drink