Screaming Eagle

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Screaming Eagle

Post by Conky »

What the blazes is going on with this stuff?

Hugely exclusive, ridiculously expensive, no great history (certainly in terms of age), but hyped into oblivian

Their site is here

Anyone tried it? Anyone think the hype is justified? Have we a European equivalent?

Alan
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I've tasted the 98 once. It was indeed very good and Bordeaux like. 98 is a lesser year in Napa and for me the beste wines came from that year, because they have acidity and freshness, too the fruit is not overipe. I don't know if it tastes similar in other years and I'd doubt it having taste some others cult wines from Napa in different vintages. If you want to taste something similar, I'd suggest Lynch Bages or Mouton Rothschild from great years.

The hype comes as it is rare and you need to be on a distribution list to have it. On that list you pay beetween 400-500$ to get it. Then you can sell it for at least the double the next day, a bit crazy... and probably more if Parker scores a 100 for it. Its release price is correct as its quality is the same as a Bordeaux 1st growth.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

From what I understand, Screagle is a superb wine. Those people that I know that have had it rate it very highly but I suspect that Frederick's assessment of "Its release price is correct" says it all. This is a cult wine of limited availablility and it is the rarity that pushes the price up.

In comparison Opus One is not difficult to get hold of but is highly priced. OK, not so high but its price is above its real value, even on release. I had it a number of years ago and was impressed by its quality until somebody told me the price, which resulted in choking and a waste of some droplets as they hit various walls. I think at the time it was a little over £100 per bottle in the UK and for that I expect a flipping lot, I would have called it as a £20 bottle when Californian wine came in carafes.
Port is basically a red drink
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I have not tried it and am unlikey to unless served by someone else. It is supposed to be very nice, but the price is a combination of availability along with the status of having it.

You have many similar wines in Europe, think "First Growth" Bordeaux, Petrus comes to mind (even more expensive), La Mission, and more than a few Bordeaux "Garigiste" wines. How about D'Yquem? The list goes on and on, in France alone.

The starange thing is that for the 1st Growths at least, production is measured in the tens of thousands of cases. No problem with availability there!

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Conky, did that answer your European equivilent question?

Jay
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Jay,

Apologies for not acknowleding your reply, but thanks.
You actually set me off researching, and I scoured the First growths and petrus pages. It said an average bottle of Petrus was £400! Which is ridiculous. But like many things in life, that was only the start. I started to read about how these type of wines are also part of the 'Big Eight' in Bordeaux...
An hour quickly past, and I realised this was a work in progress, as there was so much to learn. Hence not getting back to you.

I can definitely say (In my ignorance) there are some stupidly priced wines out there, who's prices can not be justified! :shock:

Alan
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I agree, some wine is simply not worth the money.

Jay
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Conky,

if you want to get a "sense" try the Paradigm, I believe it's sourced from vineyards that are right next door to the screagle and it's the same wine maker too.

The 02 was an impressive wine and can be had for 60$ here in the states.

not a "wow" experience i would imagine the screagle to be but it's still a very fine balanced and structured wine.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've had the Paradigm once (I think it was the '02) and enjoyed it. The person I was having dinner with that night enjoyed it so much that they went out the next day and bought a case.

I didn't - it was good but it wasn't port.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.