Niepoort Charme

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Niepoort Charme

Post by Axel P »

Since I am very seldomly surprised by a wine (that young) I need to publish a word about a wine, that many might have overlooked until presently.

I just received a collection of Niepoort Charmes, including 2004, 2005 and 2008. Although the Charme 2008 will further improve with more bottle age this is the most unusual high-class Douro wine that I have ever tasted. More info here:

http://niepoort-vinhos.com/en/wines/pdf ... 008.en.pdf

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Niepoort Charme

Post by Andy Velebil »

Yes I love Charme and have them all including the hard to find 2002. They don't always show well super young (hence some of the lower professional reviews) but they really come around after a few years in bottle.
dcs
Cheap Ruby

Re: Niepoort Charme

Post by dcs »

Great wine! I agree with Andy that these need time. Another unusual thing is that it shows better if tasted after more extracted, tannic wines. It was Dirk Niepoort that showed us this. If you first taste Niepoort Batuta (a more Bordeaux-like wine) and then taste Charme, the Charme is ethereal! This is probably from the more tannic wine clogging all the tannin receptors in your palate so that the unique qualities of Charme could shine through.