Tasting Note Index Question

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.

Would you be interested to see fortified wines made in the traditional Port manner from traditional port grapes grown in other parts of the world have their own TN database?

Yes - separate TN Index
25%
Yes - expand the existing TN Index to include them
25%
Not bothered
25%
No - these wines are imposters and should be destroyed before being consumed
25%

Total votes: 8

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Tasting Note Index Question

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Alex K and I are in the middle of a minor spat over tasting notes - nothing too serious, I hasten to add, but we are discussing how to best reflect the fact that there may be people other than me who are interested in

"red wines made from traditional port grape varieties normally found in the Douro region of northern Portugal that have been grown in South Africa, vinified (often by a Portuguese flying winemaker also from the Douro) along traditional lines normally found in Portugal with the fermentation being arrested early through the addition of neutral grape spirit to bring the alcohol level to around 20%; such wines then being aged in wood for periods of 2-6 years before being bottled"

Personally, I would like to see such wines being included in the Tasting Notes index but Alex K has instead offered me the opportunity to have a separate TN Index if there is sufficient interest in the users of the site.

Hence I have started this poll up and would appreciate it if you could vote to show whether you are interested in "ports" made elswhere in the world. If I am the only one then I will be quiet and toe the party line. However, if I have some support then maybe I will be able to persuade Alex to relent a little.

Thanks - please vote everyone!

Alex (B)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

What this is about is that Alex B put some South African "Ports" under the Port TNs. I moved them and told him about it as the Port TNs is for real Port only. He has claimed that other people's TNs are treated differently, so I've had a search and have moved one of Julian's that I hadn't previously spotted. I try to be as fair as possible and have only moved things that are obviously in the wrong place. There is no favouritism on anything as far as I'm concerned.

I suggested to Alex that we should discuss this with everybody rather than just me appearing to ride roughshod over the site.

I am quite happy to create another section for other fortified wine TNs if there is enough support for it. If Julian is willing to convert them for an index is up to him.

I'm not voting as Admin.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I voted to just include them in the regular TN section.

I don't think there is enough TN's of them to justify a seperate section. However, I do on occassion enjoy a SA fortified, or even a US fortified that is made using traditional Portugese grape varieties and in the traditional method.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I voted for a separate index. I don't have a problem with having them on the site but would prefer to see the port TN section reserved only for Port. These things could ho in a separate area along with other wine TNs.

They wouldn't need a new section if they were posted in the Other Wines section prefixed with TN: Jdaw could filter these out from the other threads when building an index.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I've gone for a seperate index, but then I dont want to see the home page expanded. I see that you've cleverly included a link within a Topic Descripition (Tasting Notes). Couldn't this be done the same way? Some how click onto tasting notes, but then hit a link or sticky to 'New World Ports'?

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Or how about a section at the foot of the TN Index with a subtitle of "Other Fortified Wines" and then the same structure as above (ie. shipper, vintage, TN link)?

I also agree with Andy that there are relatively few of these. Few enough in my mind for them to be posted into the "Other Wines" section and then a link manually sent to Julian by PM for inclusion on the TN Index.

How does this sound as a compromise?

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Sounds fine to me if Julian is OK. I can split those with TN at the bginning before sending the spreadsheet.