2011 Niepoort Drink Me Tinto

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2011 Niepoort Drink Me Tinto

Post by jdaw1 »

Links to follow.

Opaque to purple at edge. Nose of structural elements, mostly tannin, and sweet cherries. Taste has excellent size, but slightly rough. Would work perfectly with food.

Usual retail £12.95, though £11.97 on the evening.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2011 Niepoort Drink Me Tinto

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:We held our second 'Port of Belfast' event in a room at the Lyric Theatre. We were very pleased to be able to host a tutored tasting of Niepoort wines and ports with Nick Delaforce.

Link to the placemats.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Nick used the word 'balsamic' in describing the nose, which is interesting: definitely an 'umami' character, but a butteriness too. In the mouth it's meaty, much softer after being able to breathe for a couple of hours (at first it was very dense and blocky, even rough); became more elegantly structured.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

The Drink me/Fabuloso is a nice wine. But in my humble opinion it is overpriced by 25 %. You have to pay for the brand name and it's success is probably due to the clever marketing (it has a different name in every market) and not due to the quality (which is quite good but you get better quality for the same price or the same quality for a lesser price elsewhere). But it opened up markets for Douro wines (at least here in my native Germany) and that is a good thing for Portuguese wine in general. Besides it's Niepoort's cashcow which enables them to deliver high quality in their VPs which is good for port lovers.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port