White port vs Sauternes

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

White port vs Sauternes

Post by uncle tom »

My knowledge of Sauternes borders on the non-existant, but a mixed lot at Strakers last weeked included a 1947 Ch. Caillou.

Ullaged to mid shoulder, and looking very dark, my assumption was that it was shot, and gave it no value.

Having won the lot and got the bottles home, I've had a closer look at this bottle. Holding it up to the light, there is no cloudiness in the wine, which is a rich amber colour, rather like an aged white port.

So, a simple question - do old Sauternes get darker in the same manner that old white ports do - or should I prepare to use this bottle in the cooking?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Re: White port vs Sauternes

Post by PopulusTremula »

It darkens w age. Google images of old d'Yquem for instance.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

It seems to go a definite brown (rather than amber) if it's maderised, ullage sounds OK, I think 47 was supposed to be a great year. Dig in.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

How was it?