Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Post by PhilW »

Some may remember from previous discussion that the Balvenie 15yr Single Barrel has long been a favourite whisky of mine. Originally they offered a 10yr "Founder's Reserve", a 12yr "Doublewood" and the 15yr "Single Barrel" which for me was a significant cut above the others. Over time they have tried a lot of different finishes (additional maturation in different cask types) including a Portwood finish, which when I tried it was a 17yr bottle, expensive and not at as good as the single barrel; I note the Portwood is now 21yr, and there are additionally 30yr, 40yr and 50yr versions.

In any case, the point of this post is that they have recently (to my knowledge anyway) started offering a 14yr "Carribean Cask" - a rum cask finish, which also seems to be more widely available than the Single Barrel; on seeing it on the shelves in Sainsbury at reasonable price I decided to try it and was pleasantly impressed. Most of the clear clean flavour I expect from the Balvenie single barrel, smooth, but with a fuller, rounder edge from the rum; very pleasant indeed; recommended if you've enjoyed Balvenie single barrel.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Balvenie Caribbean Cask

Post by jdaw1 »

£?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:£?
£42.95
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:£?
£43 as DTR says; The Single Barrel is usually about that price, but harder to come by. The Port Wood I mentioned is more like £70-80 and I prefer the SB, but was sufficiently impressed with the Caribbean to recommend it at that price.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I finally pulled the trigger on this last week.

A lovely rich golden red colour with a fruity nose. Very smooth in the mouth - quite dry and salty. Great stuff and worth the extra few ££ over a standard 10 or 12 years old.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn