Black pudding

Other alcoholic drinks, decadent smokes, and hearty eating
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Black pudding

Post by PhilW »

I have a black pudding in my fridge, which I had intended to have alongside a pork chop recently, but forgot about.
Aside from the usual "go and buy some bacon" option (thence bacon, egg, black pudding etc), I was trying to think of alternative simple options to use it up for lunch, e.g. beans and black pudding on toast or some sort of croque-black-pudding, but that didn't seem very inspiring; anyone have some simple, yet delicious ideas?

(while I realise this could be posted under meaningless drivel, I count anything to do with black puddings as equal to pork pies; sending the black pudding to djewesbury and begging for inclusion in a pork pie would be an option, but I fear the expiry date is too near)
AW77
Morgan 1991

Re: Black pudding

Post by AW77 »

Black Pudding seems to be similar to the Rhenish "Panhas", which is fried in a pan and then served with a puree of potatoes and carrots (I can recall my grandmother making this dish which brings back fond childhood memories). So I would cut the Black Pudding into slices, fry these slices and serve them with the potatoe-carrot puree.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

AW77 wrote:Black Pudding seems to be similar to the Rhenish "Panhas", which is fried in a pan and then served with a puree of potatoes and carrots (I can recall my grandmother making this dish which brings back fond childhood memories). So I would cut the Black Pudding into slices, fry these slices and serve them with the potatoe-carrot puree.
A lovely idea. You could even dip the slices in milk and flour before frying.
Which reminds me of the time I ordered a black pudding supper in the chip shop that used to be at the bottom of the hill nearest the Art College on Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow, thinking there would be a few fried slices in amongst the chips. I received an entire ring of black pudding, deep fried in batter.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Or you could make a cold salad out of it. Cut the Black Pudding into small slices and then use a neutral oil and balsamic vinegar to dress it. To further stress the contrast between savoury (the Black Pudding) and sweet (the balsamic vinegar) you might add a dash of golden syrup. As a side dish, I think I would have some apple sauce (not the chunky one) with the salad. The acidity of the apple sauce would add a third dimension to it.
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

AW77 wrote:Or you could make a cold salad out of it. Cut the Black Pudding into small slices and then use a neutral oil and balsamic vinegar to dress it. To further stress the contrast between savoury (the Black Pudding) and sweet (the balsamic vinegar) you might add a dash of golden syrup. As a side dish, I think I would have some apple sauce (not the chunky one) with the salad. The acidity of the apple sauce would add a third dimension to it.
Although I'm not a big fan of goat's cheese, one of the best dishes I have had with goat's cheese in was a layer of leaves covered in pieces of black pudding and goat's cheese all drizzled with honey; a delicious starter I had forgotten about, but you just reminded me of.

Your other dish suggestion reminds me of corned beef hash, but with the corned beef replaced by black pudding - black pudding hash? Interesting ideas, thank you.