Hello from Brighton

Come and say hello.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Hello from Brighton

Post by akzy »

Hi,

I've been a member on FTLOP for sometime now and saw Julian talking about TPF so I thought I would join. Seems like a good place for some UK meetups which I will endeavor to attend! As for me, I'm an unlucky '93 kid (but have managed to get the Quinta Das Liceiras '93) and I'm in my final year of my physics PhD.

Looking forward to getting to know you all,

Zak
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Hello from Brighton

Post by jdaw1 »

akzy wrote: 13:38 Thu 29 Nov 2018I've been a member on FTLOP for sometime now and saw Julian talking about TPF so I thought I would join. Seems like a good place for some UK meetups which I will endeavor to attend! As for me, I'm an unlucky '93 kid (but have managed to get the Quinta Das Liceiras '93) and I'm in my final year of my physics PhD.
Hello and welcome.

Physics PhD: where? And please say more, as we have some scientists here.

Liceiras 1993 is very very rare, and has become expensive, far in excess of its likely merits. Just FYI.

And do sign on to a tasting — we are very friendly.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Zak - welcome to the Forum. Experience has shown that the main benefit of TPF for UK based members over FTLOP is that we are a smaller country so manage to get together more often. Please do come and join us for one of our tastings.

And congratulations on finding a Port from 1993. There's not much about.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
akzy

Post by akzy »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:04 Sun 02 Dec 2018 Hello and welcome.

Physics PhD: where? And please say more, as we have some scientists here.

Liceiras 1993 is very very rare, and has become expensive, far in excess of its likely merits. Just FYI.

And do sign on to a tasting — we are very friendly.
I'm doing a PhD in quantum computation with trapped ions at the University of Sussex. Long and short of it, manipulate individual atoms to make the next generation of computers. I also do the outreach for the group so ask away!

As for the Liceiras, I'm not expecting too much - i'll be saving it for my viva next year. Hopefully will be pleasant enough.
AHB wrote: 21:22 Sun 02 Dec 2018 Zak - welcome to the Forum. Experience has shown that the main benefit of TPF for UK based members over FTLOP is that we are a smaller country so manage to get together more often. Please do come and join us for one of our tastings.

And congratulations on finding a Port from 1993. There's not much about.
Thanks for the welcome, I shall certainly try join for a tasting when I can!
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

akzy wrote: 23:45 Sun 02 Dec 2018I'm doing a PhD in quantum computation with trapped ions at the University of Sussex. Long and short of it, manipulate individual atoms to make the next generation of computers.
Oh excellent. I haven’t solved (the simplest case of) Schrödinger’s equation for three decades, but that was enough to respect those dealing with complicated cases.

Is there some physical limit on isolation? Does quantum tunnelling itself prevent anything ever being isolated? Questions for after some fraction of a bottle.
akzy

Post by akzy »

jdaw1 wrote: 20:38 Mon 03 Dec 2018 Oh excellent. I haven’t solved (the simplest case of) Schrödinger’s equation for three decades, but that was enough to respect those dealing with complicated cases.

Is there some physical limit on isolation? Does quantum tunnelling itself prevent anything ever being isolated? Questions for after some fraction of a bottle.
There are limits of course, but you can go 10 minutes if you're clever

When I join you all for a drink, I shall relish the chance to explain further.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Welcome to the TPF as well. Both are excellent forums, obviously living in England makes it easier to meet regularly than the states. This a great bunch of guys and gals to get to know and share some Port with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

akzy wrote: 13:38 Thu 29 Nov 2018have managed to get the Quinta Das Liceiras '93
jdaw1 wrote: 21:04 Sun 02 Dec 2018Liceiras 1993 is very very rare, and has become expensive, far in excess of its likely merits.
jdaw1 wrote: 20:38 Mon 03 Dec 2018Schrödinger
Welcome to :tpf: Zak. Perhaps between you and Julian you can work out if my case of Liceiras '93 is alive or dead without the need for me to open the box? :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 19:39 Fri 07 Dec 2018Perhaps between you and Julian you can work out if my case of Liceiras '93 is alive or dead without the need for me to open the box? :lol:
If you are selling it you should claim it is alive.If you are buying you should claim that it is dead. If you open it, you’ll find out for sure that it’s dead.
akzy

Post by akzy »

DRT wrote: 19:39 Fri 07 Dec 2018 Welcome to :tpf: Zak. Perhaps between you and Julian you can work out if my case of Liceiras '93 is alive or dead without the need for me to open the box? :lol:
I prefer the mystery of the superposition 88).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

If you want to come to tastings, please do watch the Organising Tastings and Get-togethers section. Indeed, at the foot of that page is a link “Subscribe forum”.
akzy

Post by akzy »

Signed up. Hopefully see you at an event soon.