Portuguese cheese

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Portuguese cheese

Post by uncle tom »

What is the cheese that is often served at Quinta dinner parties, that has to be spooned out?

Looking at the list of cheeses made in Portugal, I'm guessing it's probably one of the ewe's milk cheeses, probably Zimbro

- Anyone know for sure?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Portuguese cheese

Post by DRT »

"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Or the non-PDO version, Queijo da Serra.
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Thanks for that - at least I was right about it being ewe's milk!

I see deSilvas stock Serra da Estrela at £32.50 for 900g (+£2.98 delivery) https://www.desilvas.co.uk/ but no sign of Queijo da Serra online in the UK.

In El Corte Inglés, Serra da Estrela is €28.95/Kg and Queijo da Serra is €19.90/Kg
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The one time I found Serra da Estrella in the US it was actually Queijo da Serra being sold improperly. Since several of us from FTLOP had purchased, I think we terribly frightened the poor importer with our cries of outrage. He refunded all our purchases and changed the sales link, but then also stopped carrying it almost immediately.

Note: both versions are only soft and spoonable when very young. What you are likely to receive will be at least somewhat older, making it a soft cheese more like a firmish brie. The flavor is still wonderful, though.
Glenn Elliott
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Another wonderful cheese is azeitao. Ewe's milk as well, maybe even softer, and slightly more delicate tasting.