Concerts/Gigs/Shows

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Concerts/Gigs/Shows

Post by Andy Velebil »

Nope, been to a couple and a comedy gig that KROQ (the major rock radio station here in LA) put on last night. Ahh, backstage passes and VIP access sure was fun...so was the free drink tickets :nirvana:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Am I really the only one going to concerts these days?
There’s a recession on, don’t you know.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

The chances of going to a good concert here are virtually nil. In February, James Blunt came to Muscat, but somehow I felt I could do without.

And last week Coldplay performed in Abu Dhabi. I was tempted but declined when I calculated that it would cost me about 600 euros on plane tickets, hotel, concert tickets combined. A little bit too much for a band whose last two albums were, in KillerB's words, 'merely adequate'.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I haven’t been to a concert for a while (I, too, blame the recession), though I did play at St James’ Piccadilly the Friday before last. The programme was a cheerful combination of Brahms’ Tragic Overture; Mahler’s Kindertotenlieder and Schumann 3 (‟the Rhenish”). Mostly music which (as a double bass player) it is better to listen to than to play! Thankfully the next concert is a nice mix of Scandinavian (and near-to-Scandinavia) music: Grieg, Neilsen and Sibelius.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jo and I went to see The Pogues just before Christmas.

JacobH/AHB, from a cultural and artistic perspective, you can think of The Pogues as being the Dublin version of a combination of Brahms and Liszt :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
TBird
Fonseca LBV

Post by TBird »

y&t this friday at bb kings. oh yeah! :piginpoo:
you've got a friend in cheeses
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Much to my amazement I went to see Coldplay at Wembley stadium last night. Supported by Girls Aloud and Jay-Z, we had reserved seats as my friends had their children with them. Stuck up in the Gods the soundcheck had been appalling and we couldn't hear a thing nor see anything with even the screens pointing in the wrong direction for us.

Girls Aloud could well have been brilliant but all we knew was that they had a good drummer - that's all we could hear.

A lot of whingeing at a bloke called Andy got us seats on the other side and further forward for about half way through J-Zed's set. Never been overly bothered by young Mr Curtis before but hell, he is an exceptional performer. I'd be willing to go to see him as a headline act anytime.

Coldplay were very good, very professional, very lively. Audience were mostly middle-aged, middle-class and very polite. Some of them danced nearly as badly as Chris Martin. Much as I enjoyed them, I prefer my music with a lot more of an edge - Jay-Z won the night for me.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Tonight's cultural delight is a performance of John Adams' Foxtrot for Orchestra, followed by Rachmaninov's Symphony Number 2.

And then I found out I will be going to see Take That next summer. :shock: :oops:
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Saw Doyle and the Fourfathers the other day. Anyone who likes the music of the early Who should try and see them while they are still playing small venues. They release their first full album next year and we be going on a proper tour to promote it.

If you're not sure, risk 59p on iTunes and download The Governor of Giving Up.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's been a busy few days. Managed to get into a recital by Lucy Scotchmer this evening. She is a talented cellist.

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:It's been a busy few days. Managed to get into a recital by Lucy Scotchmer this evening. She is a talented cellist.
That may be so, but I've been listening to Alicia Keys v Pixie Lott on MTV all night and I'm all cultured-out! (listening/watching - it's the same thing!)
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

So who won? I don't know Pixie Lott's music well enough to know how she compares, but I find Alicia Keys a bit dull with one or two exceptions (most notably Empire State of the Mind - predictable, I know, but I never claimed to be different from the masses).

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Reviving this thread at Owen's prompting, after going to see Tristan und Isolde at Covent Garden tonight. Absolutely perfect singing from everyone, particular mentions to Nina Stemme as Isolde, Sarah Connolly as Brangaene and John Tomlinson as a distraught, utterly believable King Marke. The staging was rather bad though, and often they had to do a lot of 'being nasty to furniture' for no clear reason. This is the latest in a long series of Wagner that I've seen lately - including a Ring Cycle and three separate Valkyries last year.

Before this the last live music I saw must have been Britten's War Requiem in St. Anne's Cathedral in Belfast. Which was terrifying and quite wonderful. Over the summer we saw The Magic Flute in Berlin in a fabulous production by Donald Runnicles and the Deutsche Oper, in the open air (in the same theatre we saw Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan). The last gig we tried to go to was Neutral Milk Hotel, in Belfast, but we missed them - the venue were intent on gettng another crowd in later the same night so they had the gig on really early, about 8 pm. We turned up at what we thought was a normal time and they were playing the last song of their encore.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

I can heartily recommend Vivaldi's The Four Seasons at St Michael's cathedral in Vienna. It is a very pleasant evening, especially in summer.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

TLW wrote:I can heartily recommend Vivaldi's The Four Seasons at St Michael's cathedral in Vienna. It is a very pleasant evening, especially in summer.
To nick a line from Daniel; "Ooh, get you!"
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

I've got tickets for Room on the Broom on Sunday. Should be good though i fear the audience might be a little runny-nosed and fidgety.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I was encouraged to get tickets to see King Creosote in Belfast in January so I have duly purchased them but I know very little about the King and his works. I get him confused with King Crimson.
Daniel J.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:I was encouraged to get tickets to see King Creosote in Belfast in January so I have duly purchased them
Better get a (very upmarket) bucket?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Why?
Daniel J.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

djewesbury wrote:Why?
To make room for the waffer thin mint?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Sorry. Thinking too slowly. Understand now.
Daniel J.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Saw Judas Priest with Steel Panther last month. Great show Rob Halford can still sing, but doesn't have the vigor he use to. Had to go back stage after every song for a glass of water. Top notch video imagery and played all their hits. Very tight and on-rhythm along with great guitar solos. Good show from a successful world tour.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Concerts/Gigs/Shows

Post by djewesbury »

Tonight I went to see and hear Richard Dawson. Richard is a bard from Tyneside, the reincarnation of Ewan MacColl, Leadbelly, Pink Floyd, Richard Thompson and Segovia. And Shirley Collins. His music hits you in the solar plexus; 'visceral' and 'force of nature' are two clichéd descriptions I'm trying, and failing, to avoid using; the thing is they really do apply to him. He's genuinely a virtuoso, and he plays something that might be an untuned toy guitar. He makes you forget to breathe and cry with laughter within a few lines.
ImageImage
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I watched X-Factor.
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

DRT wrote:I watched X-Factor.
In your Y-fronts, I see. Do I have to pick all these pistachio shells up myself?
Daniel J.