I'm Warre's Warrior

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

I'm Warre's Warrior

Post by 10Anos »

With this post I reach the rank of Warre's Warrior! The first one I actually know by experience (well...apart from the cheap ruby :roll: )...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

While I love the signature, I'm not sure that a Warre's Warrior can be accurately described as a newbie any more!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

I happened to run into that signature while I had already achieved the rank Fonseca Bin 27 but I liked it so much that I decided to use it...

But when is someone no longer a newbie? I don't think that rank based on the number of posts alone is really a reliable measure, if you know what I mean. And this person would definitely not be viewed as a newbie, even though he made fewer posts than I...

The newbie signature reflects my limited experience with port (a few months now). In that respect I'm really a newbie. And I'm still a VP-virgin, I just recently bought my first VP: half-bottle of Q d Bomfim 1998.
Last edited by 10Anos on 16:55 Sat 19 Apr 2008, edited 2 times in total.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

Was wondering, when do you call someone experienced when it comes to port? If you had to guess, how many different ports have you guys had the pleasure of tasting?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

There are a number of names for people who have drunk lots of port, most of them rather uncomplimentary. The ones that I prefer are "port-head" or "portophile".

How many ports have I tasted in my lifetime - no idea. But I can say that so far this year I have tasted 95 different bottles of port, last year it was 157 and the year before was 153.

Alex

ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Right now I drinking Warres Warrior
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm on Warres LBV 96. I opened it drunk a few nights ago, and wish I hadn't, as I've only two more bottles left. Its lovely, as always, but when its gone, its gone!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If you're drinking the Warre's Warrior right now, then come join in the virtual offline over here and tell us what you think of it.

I quite like the Warre's Warrior, in my experience it's one of the ruby ports that improves with decanting.

Alex

10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

AHB wrote:I quite like the Warre's Warrior, in my experience it's one of the ruby ports that improves with decanting.
When I tried the Warrior for the first time (and only time, so far) I remember being pleasantly surprised. It does indeed do justice to its reputation of being one of the better rubies. I didn't have a decanter at the time and the Warrior was good enough to be gone rather quickly :roll:.

I also remember that I found Warre's Heritage Ruby disappointing.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

10Anos wrote:
AHB wrote:I quite like the Warre's Warrior, in my experience it's one of the ruby ports that improves with decanting.
When I tried the Warrior for the first time (and only time, so far) I remember being pleasantly surprised. It does indeed do justice to its reputation of being one of the better rubies. I didn't have a decanter at the time and the Warrior was good enough to be gone rather quickly :roll:.

I also remember that I found Warre's Heritage Ruby disappointing.
I think of Heritage as adequate, especially when it comes at £5 per bottle. I may even have suggested that it was better than the Warrior but it could have been an adrenaline rush caused by having a drinkable ruby for a fiver.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm not keen on either. Wish I was, because they are both a lovely price.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

OH big site .... Oh TPF site

Transform me into a Warres warrior

Bang.. and wupti
:D
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

KillerB wrote:I think of Heritage as adequate, especially when it comes at £5 per bottle. I may even have suggested that it was better than the Warrior but it could have been an adrenaline rush caused by having a drinkable ruby for a fiver.
The Heritage sells for ┚¬7 and the Warrior for ┚¬9 over here. I'd rather spend the extra ┚¬2 and buy the Warrior (both are on offer for ┚¬2 less once in a while).