Alcohol and health

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
Post Reply
User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12518
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by AHB » 19:58 Thu 16 Jan 2014

I've just realised that she was only drinking the equivalent of two double magnums of Sandeman Vau per day!

Do we know anyone who's opened a lot of Sandeman Vau double magnums recently? Was he opening two per day? Will he look like the picture next time we see him? Swollen stomach, loss of hair?
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 19:17 Wed 26 Feb 2014

We English eat so healthily that, if the Scots and Welsh and the other lot were to do the same, 4k lives a year would be saved.

Really!

Who knew?

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 12:59 Thu 06 Mar 2014

The World Health Organisation, in opening a [url=http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2014/consultation-sugar-guideline/en/]public consultation on draft sugars guideline[/url], wrote: WHO’s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer, the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates.

Much of the sugars consumed today are “hidden” in processed foods that are not usually seen as sweets. For example, 1 tablespoon of ketchup contains around 4 grams (around 1 teaspoon) of sugars. A single can of sugar-sweetened soda contains up to 40 grams (around 10 teaspoons) of sugar.

The draft guideline was formulated based on analyses of all published scientific studies on the consumption of sugars and how that relates to excess weight gain and tooth decay in adults and children.
Presumably the WHO acknowledges that the sugar in ketchup is neutralised by the salt in chips. Though my quick skim-through failed to find that bit.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3443
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by Glenn E. » 17:31 Thu 06 Mar 2014

jdaw1 wrote:
The World Health Organisation, in opening a [url=http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/notes/2014/consultation-sugar-guideline/en/]public consultation on draft sugars guideline[/url], wrote: WHO’s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer, the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates.

Much of the sugars consumed today are “hidden” in processed foods that are not usually seen as sweets. For example, 1 tablespoon of ketchup contains around 4 grams (around 1 teaspoon) of sugars. A single can of sugar-sweetened soda contains up to 40 grams (around 10 teaspoons) of sugar.

The draft guideline was formulated based on analyses of all published scientific studies on the consumption of sugars and how that relates to excess weight gain and tooth decay in adults and children.
Presumably the WHO acknowledges that the sugar in ketchup is neutralised by the salt in chips. Though my quick skim-through failed to find that bit.
They seem to be mounting a two-pronged attack on Port. Alcohol and sugar are both bad? Oh my.

Sound the alarm. Pass out the torches and pitchforks.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 17:40 Thu 06 Mar 2014

Health fanatics fail to explain continued survival of human race. Good story.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 18:49 Thu 06 Mar 2014

Glenn E. wrote:Alcohol and sugar
Oh, you think that they are two terrible extremes, never to be had in isolation without being neutralised by the other (or by salt, of course)? That works for me.

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3443
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by Glenn E. » 20:27 Thu 06 Mar 2014

jdaw1 wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Alcohol and sugar
Oh, you think that they are two terrible extremes, never to be had in isolation without being neutralised by the other (or by salt, of course)? That works for me.
I'm quite certain that acid is bad for you, too, if ingested willy-nilly.

You see, it's all about balance. The proper balance of sugar, alcohol, and acid can be quite pleasant. Especially when derived from grapes.
Glenn Elliott

TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 202
Joined: 07:51 Sat 01 Dec 2012

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by TLW » 23:52 Thu 06 Mar 2014

As a doctor - in urban legend, at least - is reported to have said:

"If you give up smoking, you'll live an additional 5-10 years"
"If you give up drinking, you'll live an additional 5-10 years"
"If you eat healthy foods, you'll live an additional 5-10 years"

Why on earth would anyone want to live an extra 15-30 years in such pitiable circumstances?

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 00:28 Thu 13 Mar 2014

I have discovered that PX is much worse for a type-I diabetic than is Port. It raises my sugar massively more than does VP. Perhaps it has a different type of sugar.

So, available free to readers of this thread who attend tastings are three bottles (well, ⅔-sized bottles) of Sandeman’s Royal Ambrosante Pedro Ximenez Sherry aged 20 years. Jolly good stuff, but unsuited to my medical status.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 00:40 Thu 13 Mar 2014

Sorry to hear. Yes please!
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3443
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by Glenn E. » 16:00 Thu 13 Mar 2014

I would love a bottle of Sandeman PX, but probably won't see you before they are gone. A pity.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 16:53 Thu 13 Mar 2014

Two gone (DJ + GEE). One and a fraction remain. Fraction to be quality-controlled at a tasting.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 10:18 Thu 03 Apr 2014

“With swimsuit season on the horizon” readers might welcome some Tips For Getting In Shape.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 20:37 Sun 04 May 2014

Wikipedia wrote:Jeanne Louise Calment … 21 February 1875 – 4 August 1997)… was a French supercentenarian who had the longest confirmed human lifespan in history, living to the age of 122 years, 164 days.

Calment smoked from the age of 21 (1896) to 117 (1992), … though according to an unspecified source, she smoked no more than two cigarettes per day towards the end of her life. …

Calment ascribed her longevity and relatively youthful appearance for her age to a diet rich in olive oil, and rubbed onto her skin, as well as a diet of port wine, and ate nearly one kilogram (2.2 lb) of chocolate every week. Calment reportedly remained mentally intact until her very end.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 21:04 Sun 04 May 2014

George Robertson, in his book [i]Port[/i] wrote: Image
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV
Posts: 232
Joined: 01:11 Thu 04 Jul 2013

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by CaliforniaBrad » 22:48 Sun 04 May 2014

djewesbury wrote:
George Robertson, in his book [i]Port[/i] wrote: Image
Man, I've been putting the wrong things on my resume!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 23:03 Sun 04 May 2014

CaliforniaBrad wrote: Man, I've been putting the wrong things on my resume!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly. I think there's a lesson here for us all.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 23:27 Sun 01 Jun 2014

jdaw1 wrote:I have discovered that PX is much worse for a type-I diabetic than is Port. It raises my sugar massively more than does VP. Perhaps it has a different type of sugar.
Anthony Habert of Stevens Garnier found the numbers. The PX Sherry has almost 4× the sugar of port. It wasn’t type, it was just quantity and concentration.

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 23:29 Sun 01 Jun 2014

That reminds me. Can you bring my bottle on the 16th please? And thank you.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 21:59 Fri 27 Jun 2014

ArsTechnica writes that Fossilized poop shows that Neanderthals ate their veggies. The article failed to mention that the Neanderthals went extinct — perhaps because of the vegetables.

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952
Posts: 3706
Joined: 17:45 Fri 19 Oct 2012
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by LGTrotter » 22:18 Fri 27 Jun 2014

I thought we all had a bit of Neanderthal DNA left in us?

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15549
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by DRT » 22:31 Fri 27 Jun 2014

Vegetables are good. I like vegetables. Really, I do. Honestly. I think. Maybe. Perhaps not. They are okay I suppose. Acceptable is a better description. Nearly acceptable. Tolerable? No, I hate them.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970
Posts: 8159
Joined: 20:01 Mon 31 Dec 2012
Location: Belfast
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by djewesbury » 02:55 Sat 28 Jun 2014

Is that your inner Neanderthal talking?
I read in the New Scientist that our ancestors used the TB microbes in their gut to compensate for shortages of meat, since TB excretes nicotinamide, which we only otherwise get from meat. My unscientific mind was amazed by the idea of our having originally harboured TB as a symbiotic gut fauna.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3443
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by Glenn E. » 02:56 Sat 28 Jun 2014

I like vegetables. They are what food eats.
Glenn Elliott

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21847
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Alcohol and health

Post by jdaw1 » 23:19 Tue 08 Jul 2014

Wine Folly, in an article entitled [url=http://winefolly.com/update/does-wine-make-you-fat/]Does Wine Make You Fat?[/url], wrote:How to stay healthy and drink wine

• Eat protein before you drink

Have some quality protein before you drink. Long sustaining energy calories will help curb your craving while you drink.
Very sensible. Then it goes downhill.
Wine Folly, in an article entitled [url=http://winefolly.com/update/does-wine-make-you-fat/]Does Wine Make You Fat?[/url], wrote:• Stick to moderate drinking

Unfortunately, a bottle of wine is not a single serving. It’s important to understand your own limits. If you’re 140 pounds or under, you should stick to just one drink and only 2 if you’re over that weight.
A “bottle of wine is not a single serving”: hurray for the double magnum.

Post Reply