Guess Who I'm Sitting Next To?

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Guess Who I'm Sitting Next To?

Post by DRT »

I am currently in a Hotel bar in Glasgow enjoying a pint of lager on my own with only my laptop and you guys to keep me company.

Sitting 4 yards to my right is a small bald gentleman in his 60's who scored one of the greatest individual goals in the history of the World Cup (always in the top 5 in any World Cup Greatest Goals TV Show I have ever seen).

The goal was scored in a famous 3-2 victory over the nation that lost in the final of the same tournament.

Two of our members here may remember the devastation of being beaten in the first round by a lesser nation and then the hosts in the final.

Who is sitting to my right?

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I know. He played for Notts Forest and had a son called Scott, who also played for Forest and Everton.
Just in case it amuses anyone else, I'll hold back from naming him.
Now that was a Funny World Cup!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Alan
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

Wayne Gretzky?

Michael Jordan?

Brett Favre?

Hank Aaron?

Am I close?? :P
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Archie?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Of course....Archie Gemill!!!

After Bman's offerig I was leaning towards Derek being sat in a small Scottish Hotel next to Michael Jordan. :lol:

But of Course, Archie Gemill, father of Scott!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I was thinking of Archie Bunker
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

No, not Mr 'Bunker'. He moved to America and changed his name to Von 'Trap'.

Just a few Days on site and I've got a Golf Pun in! This is Meaningless Drivel. :D
Fun though
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes, it was Lord Gemill of Nottingham who was sitting to my right on Thursday night.

I remember vividly lying on the carpet watching the Scotland v Holland match in 1978 at the tender age of 13. I had fallen into the trap of believing Ally McLeod when he promised that we would win the World Cup and bring it home from Argentina. We needed to win by 3 clear goals against one of the best teams in the world. When Archie scored that wonder goal we were 3-1 up with 20 minutes to play - just 1 more and we would be through to the next round. Despite the fact we had already been beaten by Peru and drawn with Iran I was convinced that it would be easy once we got to the knockout stages.

Then, 3 minutes later, disaster struck :shock: - some guy called Johny Rep decided to score from the half way line with a canonball strike that almost burst the net - I think I stopped crying around 1980 :cry: :cry:

So, with all that memory in my head, and having watched that famous goal a million times, Lord Archie has become a bit of a cult hero for me and my generation. At an appropriate moment I decided to lean over and ask him to sign my hotel room charge card and put a message on for my son, Ross. He duly obliged but I was disappointed to find out that he is a grumpy little sod who is obviosly sick to the back teeth of being asked about "That Goal". He completely avoided eye contact with me and didn't say a word to me but continued to speak to his mates in a way that bordered on complete ignorance and rudeness.

I think I will forgive him for being grumpy and go back to thinking he is some sort of God 88)

Derek

Alan, is this enough drivel for you or should I go on?
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

A Grumpy Scotsman. Hmmm, I wonder whether thats been documented before? :roll:
Michael Jorden would have given you a full kit for your son, and ringside tickets for the playoffs. Mind you he's not lucky enough to be Scottish. :D

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote: Michael Jorden would have given you a full kit for your son, and ringside tickets for the playoffs.
Yes, but Michael Jordan rarely stays in a Glasgow hotel that costs £75 per night B&B :roll:

If someone tells me where he is I will seek him out and share the tickets :lol:

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I've got to ask...

How much did Jo's Outfit cost?

I thought she just had a whip and a chair to control you! :D

Alan