Greed is good

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Greed is good

Post by WS1 »

Four posts moved from Wine auctions and market manipulation by jdaw1.

Hello,

may I ask what this is all about?

Despite I acknowledge the Financial conduct etc. I still feel generally people do not understand what a market is and does. With regards to wine and port despite some fundamental rules apply on the other hand information efficiency/transparency is not given. Just think of someone who knows and has tried a lot of wines/ports compared with one that has not and just follows journalist recomendations.
It is clear that the first mentioned has an advantage and clearly will know what to buy and for how much. The latter is just driven by news and recomedation. Sorry but all this say of fair markets etc. is in my eyes floored. In real life people talk and try to make a bargain. Nothing can stop that.

Despite in current times it has come under scrutiny i still am in the camp of wall street: "Greed is good!"

Also do not forget another famous quote: "The most valuable commodity I know of is information."

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Wine auctions and market manipulation

Post by LGTrotter »

This post must be the most massively 'floored' (sic) that I have read in some time. Ripe with euphemism, I assume by 'come under scrutiny' you are referring to the wheeze whereby the greed and stupidity of a very few was converted into the biggest bill in history for those who seemed sufficiently powerless to be given it. As to the idea that nothing can be done I would point to the French Revolution as an excellent example of what can be achieved with determined effort.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I think Wolfgang has taken us why off topic. Perhaps we could have a new strand of Meaningless Drivel called Greed is Good.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:I think Wolfgang has taken us why off topic. Perhaps we could have a new strand of Meaningless Drivel called Greed is Good.
I volunteer to meet Wolfgang behind the bike sheds in meaningless drivel.

Admins!

PS I would relish the opportunity to discuss, I hope it is understood that debate and even disagreement can be done with good humour.

This post and above moved from Wine auctions and market manipulation by jdaw1.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

LGTrotter wrote:This post must be the most massively 'floored' (sic) that I have read in some time. Ripe with euphemism, I assume by 'come under scrutiny' you are referring to the wheeze whereby the greed and stupidity of a very few was converted into the biggest bill in history for those who seemed sufficiently powerless to be given it. As to the idea that nothing can be done I would point to the French Revolution as an excellent example of what can be achieved with determined effort.
Hear, hear. Well roared, lion.

I assume your surname is Robespierre? :lol:
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:This post must be the most massively 'floored' (sic) that I have read in some time. Ripe with euphemism, I assume by 'come under scrutiny' you are referring to the wheeze whereby the greed and stupidity of a very few was converted into the biggest bill in history for those who seemed sufficiently powerless to be given it. As to the idea that nothing can be done I would point to the French Revolution as an excellent example of what can be achieved with determined effort.
I knew a man who could do a painting of it for you to capture the event for posterity.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Greed is good

Post by djewesbury »

AHB wrote:
I knew a man who could do a painting of it for you to capture the event for posterity.
I think 'knew' is stretching it!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Greed is good

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
I think 'knew' is stretching it!
'Twas but a little poetic license. Or perhaps genetic memory.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.