1960 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1960 Warre

Post by PhilW »

The third bottle from a batch of five, opened today because the cork had failed, it had started leaking, and the level was mid-shoulder.
Previous bottles from this batch:
- 1 - the phenomenal one,
- 2 - the unconvincingly coloured one.
When decanting the unconvincing one previously, I noted the others from this batch as also pale; I did not check well enough.
This latest bottle, on decanting is a lovely 30% opaque red with orange-brown towards the edge, and on first sip seems to be every bit as good as bottle (1) :D
On checking the remaining two bottles, one has the same colour as (2) but the other seems to be the same as (3), the bottle I have just opened.
Considering that after (2) I believed I had three more duff bottles, now I have some unexpectedly superb drinking tonight, and one more bottle which should be excellent to come in the future. :D

p.s. Mike; this is the batch you have one bottle from; I hope yours is the good version! (see if the colour looks pink/red, or orange though the bottle main body).
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1960 Warre

Post by PhilW »

TN: 30% opaque, brick red with orange/brown rim. Sweet plums, with layers of toffee and burnt oranges, all melded together; the flavours keep coming again and again in waves; lip-smackingly sweet on the finish, but still with backbone. Long and complex, perfectly balanced. More mature than the '66s but definitely not faded in the slightest. Absolutely delicious.
Rating: Excellent