1985 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

1985 Fonseca

Post by richmills »

Cork came out easily and in 1 piece. It's very dark still in the decanter and rather closed on the nose, not sure I can really pick out much. An immediate glass at T0 is quite disappointingly simple; a reasonably long finish but I'd describe the taste as just boozy jam with not enough acidity to make it truly interesting.

Coming back after 18 hours it is definitely improved. I can smell dark fruits (blackberry, prunes) and the acidity is there at last. Good balance and very pleasant, but not blockbuster. I'd like to try this again in another 5 and 10 years. 91 points.
EwenCummins
Cruz Ruby

Re: 1985 Fonseca

Post by EwenCummins »

Hiya, Happy to drink all your current stock and replace in 10-15 years time. 30 years should be long enough, surely...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

The Fonseca '85 always rewards a longer decant. If I can manage it I often decant it 48 hours in advance. My approach with this port is buy lots of it, drink it now, next year, year after that, 5 years from now, 10 years, 20 years...
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

flash_uk wrote:The Fonseca '85 always rewards a longer decant. If I can manage it I often decant it 48 hours in advance. My approach with this port is buy lots of it, drink it now, next year, year after that, 5 years from now, 10 years, 20 years...
I don't know about 48 hours, but a good 12 for sure. Decanting first thing in the morning the minute you get up for dinner that night is a pretty good rule of thumb. But decanting before bed the night before also works.

At just shy of 52 years old, it is likely not possible for me to have too much F85. I feel pretty confident that it will out live me.
Glenn Elliott
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

Well I'm just enjoying the final glass of this now, and after nearly 48 hours I think rhis is the best one yet. I have 5 bottles of this remaining and I definitely think I'll hold on for a few more years before opening the next one.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

richmills wrote:Well I'm just enjoying the final glass of this now, and after nearly 48 hours I think rhis is the best one yet. I have 5 bottles of this remaining and I definitely think I'll hold on for a few more years before opening the next one.
Holding on to the remaining 5 bottles for a few years before opening the next one is a good plan.

A better plan might be to hold on to the remaining 5 bottles for a few years before opening the next one while also going out and buying some more before prices go up substantially and so having enough to drink one or two bottles per year for the next 30 years.

I do like the F85. I think, in around 15 years, it will be as good as the F70 is today.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

AHB wrote: 13:57 Mon 15 Aug 2016
richmills wrote:Well I'm just enjoying the final glass of this now, and after nearly 48 hours I think rhis is the best one yet. I have 5 bottles of this remaining and I definitely think I'll hold on for a few more years before opening the next one.
Holding on to the remaining 5 bottles for a few years before opening the next one is a good plan.

A better plan might be to hold on to the remaining 5 bottles for a few years before opening the next one while also going out and buying some more before prices go up substantially and so having enough to drink one or two bottles per year for the next 30 years.
Advice taken; I've just loaded up on another case of this :)
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Excellent move!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.