1985 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1985 Smith Woodhouse

Post by LGTrotter »

Another bottle from the case which has 'selected and shipped by Berry Bros Rudd' in small print at the bottom of the bottle. This case seems to be like the magic porridge pot, in that I always seem to find one more.

Better for a longer decant, a little simple and sweet on the first night, on the second evening it had gained some length and seemed more acidic on the finish which lifted the flavour. Looking back through my notes on this it seems to have changed very little since I first tried this about 5 years ago. That and it favouring a longer decant time suggests there is no particular hurry to drink this. Points wise I suppose I would put it below 90, but not by much. For me however it was nearly perfect, not too heavy, developed over time and I did not feel I needed to give it too much attention. An excellent accompaniment to 'The Seagull' by Checkov, which there is an excellent version of on BBC radio 4 extra site. Apologies to those who cannot access this.