1977 Smith Woodhouse

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1977 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

One of the magnums bought ex-cellars in 2010 and stored in bond until a few weeks prior to being opened. Brick red and mature in appearance. Sweet and dusty black cherries on the nose, with a twist of basil. Poised entry, sweet and fragrant black cherries on the palate with a great volume of fruit. Fruit dominated, but with great balance; the tannins are soft and well integrated but the acidity provides a lovely counter-point to the sweetness of the fruit. Terrific palate with a charcoal essence coming through late. The aftertaste is big and fruit dominated. The aftertaste is long and comes in several layers, not the least of which is the charcoal and cherry toffee on the finish. This is great port, but still very young and very sweet. Very enjoyable. 91/100. Drunk 03-Sep-16. Decanted 1 hour.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1977 Smith Woodhouse

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've been sipping away at this for the last 2 hours now and it's getting better and better. It's so delicious that I just can't stop refilling the glass!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:I've been sipping away at this for the last 2 hours now and it's getting better and better. It's so delicious that I just can't stop refilling the glass!
The sign of a top port for me. Or possibly a top thirst. All of a sudden the bottle is empty, but I have never tried the experiment with a magnum. Respect.

I love reading how good this port is, it renews my struggle to resist the urge to open one. A nice personal battle. Not yet.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I really love this VP, especially from Magnum where it's still showing more youthfulness than 750's of it. Very different styled than Gould Campbell or other SFE VP's