1966 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1966 Taylor

Post by LGTrotter »

Clear lively colour, pinks and reds rather than brown. Pale rim, which does have a bit of brown in it. On opening the nose was fruity, this has changed to something more tertiary, whiskey, maple and madeira. Beautiful clear palate with a sense of layers. Amazingly rich and thick mouthfeel for such a pale wine with a good dry bite on the end. It is a mature port but with no sense of decrepitude, except perhaps the hint of whiskey on the nose. No rush to drink this, it reminds me of a grown up Taylor 85. A lot of points for the quality and interest I found in it, 94ish.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1966 Taylor

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

What a lovely port to open on Bonfire Night. And what a treat for yourself.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: 1966 Taylor

Post by LGTrotter »

AHB wrote:What a lovely port to open on Bonfire Night. And what a treat for yourself.
A very lovely port, just finishing the last splash now. A bit simpler than when first opened but with the same effortless quality. Rather different from most 66s, which always seemed rather tumultuous ports.

It has bought me to two sad reflections. Firstly I rather like Taylor, and secondly the further back I go with my port drinking the more satisfying I find the wines. Neither of which make life cheaper.

But I must allow myself a treat from time to time. Time to look for a few 55s...