Port-based beverages

Anything to do with Port.

When should the Cheeky Vimto best be enjoyed?

Before breakfast
No votes
With a light brunch
No votes
While driving / operating heavy machinery
23%
While conducting Brexit negotiations
69%
As an aperitif
No votes
After dinner, but before brushing teeth
No votes
In bed, at any time of day
8%

Total votes: 13

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Port-based beverages

Post by djewesbury »

Hello everyone,

Yes, yes, I know, it's been too long, and I've missed too much, I didn't organise the Gould Campbell tasting that I said I would organise a whole year ago, I've only been to one tasting this year, and I'm not even going to the Xmas tasting. But after a ridiculously busy (but very rewarding) several months I finally have a free moment to share something with you all once again. Knowing that many of you will have been enjoying / will be looking forward to the BBR Port Walk, I thought I'd sharpen your appetites with the delightful north British port-based 'cocktail' below.

I bring you the Cheeky Vimto!
cheekyvimto.jpg
cheekyvimto.jpg (140.83 KiB) Viewed 9796 times
A friend, visiting Scotland for a theatrical tour, took a few days off in Glasgow, where at her friend's house this tempting beverage was served. You will observe that the recipe calls for Quevedo Ruby Port and Blue WKD. I wonder, could Oscar tell us what he thinks are the best proportions of each, and is it best shaken or poured over ice?

Maybe he – and you all – can join in my poll above, to decide when best to enjoy this beverage.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Port-based beverages

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Welcome back to the Board! And with such a stylish and refined post. I'd like to request an additional option on the voting list, of "When eating a deep fried Mars bar".

I rather like the sound of a cheeky vimto, especially if I get to choose the proportions of Quevedo Ruby to WKD. Perhaps predictably, I like it in the ratio 100% port and 0% WKD.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

I have to shamefully confess to having sampled the wonders of the cheeky vimto many times in my youth. I am in good company though as I believe it is [or at least was] Charlotte Church's favourite tipple. I recommend it prior to hitting the dance floor, or at music festivals in a field where it can be lugged around pre made in 2 litre bottles.

I am grateful to learn I had been making it correctly all those years, and that it should have been made with Quevedo rather than Ck Special reserve. My recommended method is adding some ice to a pint glass, pour over the bottle of WKD, add port to the top, and stir. Yummy! :D
Last edited by Doggett on 16:42 Fri 25 Nov 2016, edited 1 time in total.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

Sadly I have never had WKD (of any colour). A glaring hole in my education. A quick search of Youtube wasn't terribly helpful - lots of teenagers drinking it as fast as they could to get drunk before going out. A helpful Ozzie reviewed a bottle whilst sitting in his car (yes, very odd) and described is as tasting of bubblegum.

Hmm.

70% WKD to 30% Quevedo Ruby might make alcoholic Vimto. Might even be pleasant. I'd give it a go. I might well prefer it without the WKD.

Glad to hear you've had a rewarding few months, I heard last night how busy you have been. Welcome back.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Welcome back young man-rumours of your demise were greatly exaggerated! I must confess to having a secret soft spot for a cheeky vimto having had it a few times over the years. I'm even pretty sure that I did once have it for breakfast :D
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

I am amused to see that I am with the majority in my thoughts! (I won't divulge those for fear of influencing the outcome!)

Will you be at Lord's at all next Summer Daniel? I hear tell it may be rather less accessible than it currently is.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

benread wrote:Will you be at Lord's at all next Summer Daniel? I hear tell it may be rather less accessible than it currently is.
Why's that…? I do hope to be…
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Cecily: This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners. When I see a spade I call it a spade.

Gwendolen: I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.
— Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:I didn't organise the Gould Campbell tasting that I said I would organise a whole year ago
About which I’m still bitter. The bitterness is partly mocha, partly dark chocolate. Softened by plum sweetness.

Do the right thing.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Glad to hear you're well and have come out the far side of the artist-fest intact. Did you have to stand in striped yellow and green room pouring a cheeky vimto on your head for 8hrs a day at all? You must be glad it's over, and pleased it went well. Welcome back to the world of port - :tpf: I mean ;) and hope you've had a few nice bottles yourself in the meantime.

I think Oscar would likely agree with Alex on the ideal proportions! Hope to see you at a tasting in the near future.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote: and I'm not even going to the Xmas tasting.
You are currently still confirmed for a place at the Xmas tasting, so if you are able to attend then you could still make another TPF tasting this year. If you are no longer able however, please confirm in that thread.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote: and I'm not even going to the Xmas tasting.
You are currently still confirmed for a place at the Xmas tasting, so if you are able to attend then you could still make another TPF tasting this year. If you are no longer able however, please confirm in that thread.
I posted to say I couldn't go. Weeks back.
Daniel J.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Can I just declare that the clear winner of the poll, with a massive 9% of votes, is 'In bed, at any time'.

That's democracy, people.
Daniel J.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

djewesbury wrote:I posted to say I couldn't go. Weeks back.
It must be those pesky admins, randomly deleting posts again. I blame all that cheeky Vimto consumed while administrating. Damn censorship; I bet that I won't even be allowed to say
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:
djewesbury wrote:I posted to say I couldn't go. Weeks back.
It must be those pesky admins, randomly deleting posts again. I blame all that cheeky Vimto consumed while administrating. Damn censorship; I bet that I won't even be allowed to say
Or maybe it was the fact that I attempted posting it while I was drinking with one of the admins. Using Tapatalk.
Daniel J.