2011 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2011 Dow

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Available by the glass from the Hedonism Enomatic machine for £10. Deep garnet red, opaque centre. Fresh blackcurrants and vanilla on the nose with some lovely flower tones of esteva. Smooth texture on entry bringing lots of fruit with a lovely elegance and the hallmark purity of the vintage. Powerful tannins ride the wave of flavour that crash onto the mid-palate and bring a noticeable streak of acidity. Hiding behind all of that is a beautiful flower perfume element to the fruit. Some heat from the acidity shows on the aftertaste before a big black chocolate and sour cherry finish takes over. This is a big port but has a surprising elegance and balance to it - and is very easy to drink right now! 94 points might be a little ungenerous. 94/100. Drunk 20-Feb-17.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 2011 Dow

Post by Axel P »

I am totally with you, Alex. I just had this half a year ago at the Port-wine-day-celebrations. It is a big wine, but totally overrated - as well as the 2007 Dow.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote: 19:48 Mon 03 Apr 2017 I am totally with you, Alex. I just had this half a year ago at the Port-wine-day-celebrations. It is a big wine, but totally overrated - as well as the 2007 Dow.
I wouldn't be that harsh. It's a very, very good port - I just don't think it will ever be as good as Nacional 1963 or Noval 1931, which are the only two ports I have ever awarded 100 points. (I know, I know; some might accuse me of label bias. My response would be (a) there's a reason for the reputation these wines have and (b) if you know me and my tasting regime, when have you ever known me to have label bias and go with the group?)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I have to agree. I think this is an amazing VP but I also don't think it's up to the level of a Nacional in 2011. That said, for a fraction of the price, and a couple points difference, this is by far the better "value Port" that is also far easier to obtain.

Edit: you, and a couple others, are some of the few I know to not allow label bias into your overall review. And that is from someone who has literally shared what is probably over 1,000 Ports together since I've known you.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I think the Dow 2011 is an outstanding Port but nothing more and never will be. I have had this in blind tastings on more than one occasion and was more attraced by other Ports from the same Vintage for more than one reason.

Although this and the Niepoort Bioma were the only 2011s I have Magnums or larger formats of.

Time will tell...

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com