1980 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1980 Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

Nacional 1962, Nacional 1980, and Nacional 1985 were tasted in a further celebration of the birth of my first child, Sophia Wiseman. Present were myself and the missus, and friends BAW ODM TZ SGO'S and RO'S; the first of these bringing some fines cheeses. See review.

The 1980 was unremarkable when first in the glass: pale and the palest of the three; with no noteworthy features to the bouquet. But so long, and so mouth-fillingly huge in the palate, and peppery. Five minutes later the nose had so much passion fruit. I have never had port like it: the passion fruit is overpowering and utterly delicious and all over it. The passion fruit lasted all evening, and was present even when the glass was freshly refilled. If any readers know by what process it appears after the delay, please share. A great port.

Does anyone know why the 1980 was relabelled, and in a manner so ill-keeping with the usual Noval labelling?