1977 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1977 Dow

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

No trace of TCA reveals a beautifully mature port. Burnt ochre in colour, 30% opaque, with a delicious nose of mace and warm raisins with 2 hours in the glass. When a sample taken on the evening was tasted the following day the nose had moved to less spice and more sweet redcurrant cordial. Smooth on the palate, slightly thicker in texture than water but so full of intense flavour and powerful acidity. Dry, slightly bitter with quince and grapefruit oil. Very complex and almost overwhelming in power. A huge aftertaste, a little fiery but incredibly long lasting and huge in volume - I swallowed a sip and had time to wash up after dinner before the finish faded. Such a fabulous port it is devastating that it is so badly affected by TCA. 95/100. Opened 26-Apr-17 as part of a charity Port Tasting I delivered. Decanted 1 day.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1977 Dow

Post by Andy Velebil »

A good bottle!!!!! When this is good it's really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk