1995 Warre Cavadinha

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

1995 Warre Quinta da Cavadinha

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

This wine is beautiful in the way a bonfire is beautiful-the smell, the sparks flying, embers burning, the heat, the atmosphere. This was exuberant, youthful wine that, with air, continued to take on more and more nuances...and became hotter and hotter on the finish. All the fruit is there in spades, with ample sour kirsch, blackberry and some tart boysenberry hanging by threads from a rather flamboyantly acidic and alcoholic structure. I foresee at least a 15+ year window ahead of this wine, and the sediment at the moment is quite fine and insubstantial. What really drove me to this wine was that while it is presently a bit disjointed, it has miraculous moments when the disjointedness is so much so that the wine becomes linear once again. During these brief moments, the wine displayed amazing precision and freshness, the fruits became more red and vibrant, and the finish delivered a more integrated and lush cocao, plum liquor warmth. Quite nice to drink after about two days in the decanter, but I would cellar this at the bare minimum another five years. I might even venture a suggestion to hold this another ten years due to the prominence of alcohol displayed on this occasion and the strength of the fruit and acidity. Thoroughbred SQVP.
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

That's good to read. I just bought a bottle one hour ago! :shock:
Frequently Ask Questions
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This port is currently the best way to spend your airmiles. By pure coincidence, I had the exact same port in the decanter at the exact same moment as SSD. I couldn't agree more with his note. It needs at least 5 years more to come together. What I love about this port at this stage is the lovely minty freshness on the nose and palette. And the density of the fruit is great.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

RonnieRoots wrote:This port is currently the best way to spend your airmiles. By pure coincidence, I had the exact same port in the decanter at the exact same moment as SSD. I couldn't agree more with his note. It needs at least 5 years more to come together. What I love about this port at this stage is the lovely minty freshness on the nose and palette. And the density of the fruit is great.
Albert Heijn sells these for EUR 25. Would you say this is good value for money?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I bought a couple at AH too. The 25 euro is good value for money IMO, but it gets even better when you decide to spend your airmiles on this port. For 10 euro + 1500 airmiles it's yours. :)
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

:lol: Would that be Overvecht?
Frequently Ask Questions
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Yep!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Presumably you have to have KLM airmiles to get this discount? I wonder if I can convert BA or Virgin or Airmiles into KLM airmiles?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I don't know if it's the same thing, but we receive airmiles when doing groceries, at wine purchases and tanking gas.
10Anos
Fonseca LBV

Post by 10Anos »

AHB wrote:Presumably you have to have KLM airmiles to get this discount? I wonder if I can convert BA or Virgin or Airmiles into KLM airmiles?
I think in The Netherlands it's reversed. You first save miles by shopping in certain stores and supermarkets and then fly (at a discount). Nowadays it's more of a universal saving system, so you can use your Airmiles to get discounts on more that just flights...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ah, I see. Thanks. It sounds a little bit like Sainsbury's Nectar Points system that can give discounts on shopping and things.

I shudder to think how much Derek might have paid for his Malvedos 96 if he had used his Nectar points for a discount...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.