1875 Unknown

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

1875 Unknown

Post by Simon Lisle »

This had started leaking and I had full intentions of recorking but after a nice bottle of wine and good company it was opened.I pushed the cork into the bottle to try and save it,Then with my mechanical expertise retreived it(with the help of a ball headed hammer).Was it 1875 I beleive so or somewhere near that date.The cork gave me no clues just too faded to make anything out and well compressed.This was full blown Tawny it get's a bit hit and miss with these old bottle's but this one was very nearly a hit.It reminded me more of an old Burgundy than madeira like.Caramel still sweet no fruit definately vintage and not a colheita the familiar smoky taste of age not much acid on the finish which is what I would expect some chocolate there and something else I just can't place.Altogether very nice.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Simon,

If you have a little weak hydrogen peroxide solution try dropping the cork into it for an hour or so. I have used this technique in the past on faded corks that are difficult to read and it works really well.

You can get weak hydrogen peroxide solution from Boots in small quantities (and you only need a cupful).

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.