1996 Graham Malvedos

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1996 Graham's Malvedos VP

Post by DRT »

Purchased from Sainsbury's at £11.50 per bottle on 2 March 08

On Decanting
Decanted cleanly of very little fine sediment. Very dary purple/red clour. Big, plummy fruit bomb nose. Nice weight and very smooth. Masses of dark fruit then quite dry and tannic. A decent finish with a little minty tingle on the tip of the tongue. A promising start.

+2 Hours
A little spirit and pepper on the nose now. Smooth and chocolatey and still very dry and tannic in the finish, which now has some heat. Still a very nice port but showing signs that it hasn't quite come together yet.

+24 Hours
Same peppry nose as last night but now showing some cherry. Still very smooth but the tannin just kills everything else until well into the finish. A pleasant glass of port but will be much, much better in 5 to 10 years.

Score: 6-8

I happened to have a bottle of this in the cellar already so still have a 6-pack to send off to storage until it grows up a bit 88)

+48 Hoursyummy. Best yet :smile:
Last edited by DRT on 00:59 Thu 06 Mar 2008, edited 2 times in total.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 1996 Graham's Malvedos VP

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Derek T. wrote:...Very dary purple/red clour...
I know that I am terrible at typing too fast and not thoroughly checking my posts for spelling mistakes and normally that would prevent me from picking on the spelling mistakes of others, but these two did make me laugh.

I don't think I've ever before seen a description of a port using these two adjectives. It reminds me of the Jabberwock poem, "Twas brillig and the slithy toves, did gyre and gimble in the wade. The port was dary and red clour, the bouqs were fine and nicely grave..."

I could go on, but you all have lives to live.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 07:53 Wed 05 Mar 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

He's just rubbing our noses in it!

Finds a half price offer. Sets us all off around the Country for similar bottles that dont exist. Then quickly Posts his triumphant Tasting Note....while clearly showing he's very drunk on the headiness of it all! :evil:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Conky wrote:Sets us all off around the Country for similar bottles that dont exist.
Did you actually move from the couch, Mr C? The last message I got from you seemed to suggest that it was all too much effort to go looking :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...but, yes, I have to admit feeling slightly smug as I posted :twisted:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Derek 'Bag A Deal' Turnbull. wrote: Did you actually move from the couch, Mr C?
It's the thought that counts... :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

TN updated above with note at 24 hours plus a score.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn