1994 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1994 Graham's VP

Post by KillerB »

Opened at a Dim Sum restaurant somewhare in Chinatown with G-Man and G-Woman. It was cloudy so out came Julian's trusty funnel and filters, which worked a treat.

Considering that ths was directly out of the bottle it was amazing stuff. reaally very dark but clear, nose was very muted but that is not surprising. In the mouth it was very sweet with a glut of cherries, giving the classic Graham's profile. No massive tannic aftertaste until sipped directly after the beef noodles. Some cassis notes as well but smooth and delicious. I suspect that this is an early drinker but will give decades of enjoyment up until it is around 40 maybe50, can't see it having the legs after that.

Just gong to try some more and will finish it with Board-O tonight.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1994 Graham's VP

Post by RonnieRoots »

KillerB wrote:I suspect that this is an early drinker
I had the same impression when I had this port 2 or 3 years ago. A very enjoyable drink, but probably not in the top league of '94's.

Say hi to Board-O!
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1994 Graham's VP

Post by KillerB »

RonnieRoots wrote:
KillerB wrote:I suspect that this is an early drinker
I had the same impression when I had this port 2 or 3 years ago. A very enjoyable drink, but probably not in the top league of '94's.

Say hi to Board-O!
Agreed and I will.

Just had some more and the tannins are starting to show now - could be the lack of proximity to ginger tripe. Still very sweet but the initial bang is changing. Great fun Port but lacks backbone.
Port is basically a red drink
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

very pleasant port brought by KillerB, and very much appreciated!

I really enjoyed this, loads of candied cherries and incredibly smooth.

I agree with everyone that this feels like an early drinker, our glasses weren't exactly the best for a tasting however so I couldn't get much out of the nose.

The Mrs. stated that while pleasant she says it doesn't enough umfph for her.

And I still stand by my belief that young VP pairs great with chinese food =)