1994 Quinta do Vesuvio

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1994 Vesuvio

Post by winesecretary »

80% opaque, glass staining dark wine. Strongly spirity nose, much more so than the Warre or Dow tasted alongside, with a nice figgy note. Lively and spicily fruity in the mouth, it flowered in the glass as the evening went on. Very good, but needs more time.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

85% opacity, very dark dull red. Dark spicy nose, dark red fruits, plums, damsons. Thick and chewy entry, lovely velvet full mouthfeel, syrupy dark red fruit and great sweetness, with spice in the finish. Really sweet & smooth. Excellent bottle, perhaps the best V94 I have had. Shows off this great vintage for Vesuvio perfectly.
NickA
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by NickA »

Deep colour. Quite a nigh toned note on the nose with a slightly confected note initially. Attractive red and black fruits. The palate is fresh and lively initially but this opens and rounds out turning out something that is super attractive and drinking well. Controversially perhaps but while I’ve had my doubts on this port before now this bottle shows it can contain the more volatile (and indeed sweet character) into something that is just flat out enjoyable to drink. How much better this will show against its peers in future I wouldn’t like to say but took my top vote as I decided ‘on the night’ rather than outright potential was going to be the guide to help me decide.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

V94. Dark red, 70% opaque. Dark plum; mid-sweetness; only a hint of the dryness.