1994 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1994 Taylor

Post by winesecretary »

75% opaque, paling at the rim. Very 'Taylor' on the nose, with fire and spice, reminding me instantly of the nose on a 1963 Taylor that I had about twenty years ago. In the mouth very long, classic Taylor more-power-less-fruit, but with a very pretty note of fig. I thought early in the tasting that it was very good port, but not my thing; however, the fruit grew substantially in the glass over three hours; my ultimate conclusion was that I should come back in a decade to see whether it has become my thing.
NickA
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by NickA »

Good solid colour. I admit I don’t really get Taylor. Well, maybe I do but maybe I don’t appreciate the house style as much as others. The nose is not particularly giving and not helping you know what to expect. But boy does it hit the palate with a bang. Dense, minerally blueberry fruit – quite precise and intense yet not so expansive or open as you’d like. Typical power and grip with a long finish. I might come to fully appreciate this in time, but it will have to soften up and match that power with a broader mouthful to suit my tastes.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

75% opacity, dark red. rich, dark fruits on the nose, with leather and spice. Big, rich full mouthfeel. Spice and tannin, then dark black fruits, chocolate. Big soft tannin all along the palate.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

T94. Dark red, 60% opaque. Palate big and dry; lovely; grit; sweetness. Liked.