Acquiring young vintage port

Anything to do with Port.
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Acquiring young vintage port

Post by ChaseG »

Hello all
What is the best way to acquire some of the recent 2017 vintage port here in the Midwestern US(Des Moines, IA) ? I just won a variety of about 112 bottles from the most recent Heritage Auction that's from the 70s to the 90s but would love to get some younger stuff I can age.

Thanks!
Chase

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Acquiring young vintage port

Post by SushiNorth »

Congratulations on building up your Port cellar :)

I'm betting there'll be a fire-sale on 2016's soon with the 2017's hitting the shelves (I'm headed out to get some 2017 tonight actually). You should find that your local stores are starting to stock it, and wine-searcher can guide you to them. Euro Wine Resource also offers pre-arrival purchases, but my experience with them from 2016 is that they won't deliver for another 6 months from now. When the bottles hit the auction circuits, they won't sell for much less than they retail for (after buyers premium, etc). Certainly if you know a retailer and have a way to get a good price that way, go for it.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

As SushiNorth suggests, wine-searcher.com would be your friend in your quest. It's worth subscribing to the pro version if you plan to spend a reasonable amount of money. The pro version often suggests cheaper retail sources than the sponsor retailers who appear in the free version of wine-searcher.

Or wait a couple of years and buy from auction. Currently 2000 and 2003 vintages are selling at or below their release prices (with a few exceptions).
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

ChaseG wrote: 03:47 Tue 24 Sep 2019 Hello all
What is the best way to acquire some of the recent 2017 vintage port here in the Midwestern US(Des Moines, IA) ? I just won a variety of about 112 bottles from the most recent Heritage Auction that's from the 70s to the 90s but would love to get some younger stuff I can age.

Thanks!
Chase

You're probably the one who outbid me on a couple of those, good haul. I assume IA allows you to ship into your state. If so, as others mentioned, use Wine Searcher Pro to check around for the best prices and find a retailer who can ship to you. 2017's have recently starting to show up on shelves so a good time to buy.
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Re: RE: Re: Acquiring young vintage port

Post by ChaseG »

Andy Velebil wrote:
ChaseG wrote: 03:47 Tue 24 Sep 2019 Hello all

Thanks!
Chase

You're probably the one who outbid me on a couple of those, good haul. I assume IA allows you to ship into your state. If so, as others mentioned, use Wine Searcher Pro to check around for the best prices and find a retailer who can ship to you. 2017's have recently starting to show up on shelves so a good time to buy.
Ah, probably was! I got quite a few of their port selection. Wanting to stock the shelves in our new house here. They just arrived today. Unpacking time tomorrow, can't wait.

I had to open the package of the magnum of 1977 Graham's first. See pic! Image

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Is that a magnum?
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Post by ChaseG »

jdaw1 wrote:Is that a magnum?
Yes. This auction lot had 3 magnums of Graham's 1977.

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Magnums good. I like large bottles.
ChaseG
Cheap Ruby

Post by ChaseG »

jdaw1 wrote:Magnums good. I like large bottles.
Yes, unfortunately my circle does not drink much port! So it's hard to justify opening a magnum