1989 Morgan

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1989 Morgan Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

The same M&S labelled wine as reviewed by AHB here.

Decanted 2 days ago and kept at cellar temperature since then. The first thing to note is that it had a new looking cork which did not bear the shipper's name. This may have been re-corked recently when the bottles were being prepared for shipping out of the Croft cellars in 2006/7.

I tasted this at the time of decanting and didn't like it at all. It's not often I can say that about a VP and it may have had something to do with the fact I had just finished a glass of Dow 70. Tonight it still has the same characteristics I disliked on opening but is not as harsh as it was then.

The colour is very dark, unlike the description given by AHB. There seems to be a little VA on the nose. AHB smelled bannanas. Whatever it is, it's strange and rather unpleasant. The wine has a decent weight and texture but tastes weak and unintegrated. There is a ton of tannin kicking around here, again the converse of AHBs experience, but it doesn't give the impression that it will improve over time. The finish is probably the only redeeming feature, fairly long and mouthwateringly sweet.

Score: 2-1

I am actually contemplating pouring this down the sink. I must be unwell :shock:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1989 Morgan Vintage Port

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:I am actually contemplating pouring this down the sink. I must be unwell :shock:
Bad port makes great spaghetti bolognese.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1989 Morgan Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
Derek T. wrote:I am actually contemplating pouring this down the sink. I must be unwell :shock:
Bad port makes great spaghetti bolognese.
It's OK - I have come to my senses and decided to drink some whilst I complie the last few remaining years on the Declarations database. Just 1954 to 1976 to go :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

+3 days
Hmmm? Much, much better than before. This has lost all of that VA/bannana nose, has put on weight and is now quite pleasant. Not great, but very quaffable. This is the first time I have tasted Melon in a VP but, hey ho, it's better than what I tasted yesterday :wink:

On a serious note, much more composed and integrated with no obvious let-the-side-down qualities. If this was a £10 LBV on opening I would say "buy, buy, buy!" - but, it's a £25 VP, so don't.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn