2000 Sainsbury

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2000 Sainsbury

Post by winesecretary »

2000 Sainsbury's Taste the Difference
This has obviously been recorked, and fairly recently at that, the cork end is barely coloured at all. The new cork is hard to get out- no need for the Durand I foolishly used to try extract the cork (and damaged in the process).

- P'n'P to 2 hours thereafter

85% opaque red juice, hint of maturing at the rim. Spicy nose with plums and herbs. On the palate, cherry, yellow plum, red plum later. Lots of red fruit and pepper on the finish.

+ 24 hours

Rich red plums on the palate. Fine long warming spicy finish. Now really coming into its own.

I am not sure what this is. It's not one of the big boys. But, it is clearly a recorked SFE legacy VP. Which one? QH is my guess, but tentatively. It's delicious, anyway. In the top rank of 2000 VPs? No. But, as a cellar defender over the next decade while you wait for the top 2000s to come good? Fill your boots. It's light- years ahead of the 2007 Warre LBV which is the same sort of money at the moment.

Tasted 29/6/20 and 30/6/20.