1977 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Graham's Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

I will copy paste a good deal of my TN's just because it's fun to have them here as well. I'll start off with a TN that is not actually mine, but LadyR's. I doubt if she will be posting here (or anywhere) because she's always crazy busy at work.
This weekend Ronnie and I opened a bottle of Graham's VP 1977 at the occasion of my 30th birthday. As Graham's has proved not to be our most favourite style (especially when drunk next to Fonseca or Taylor's), it was interesting to taste it in its full right.

Decanted for 2 hrs:
Rusty / rose hip colour, not very intens. Elegantly aged and easy drinking, without losing its complexity. Subtle aromas of dried vigs, leather and star anise with a delegate taste of fresh vigs, red fruit (but what??), brown sugar, liquorice and mild tabacco to the end. The finish does not add any new flavours: nothing is really happening here. Overall, slightly hot VP, but very enjoyable. I'll give it 91 pts!

After 1,5 day:
It became the kind of port you can serve to your parents (in law) who know nothing about wine, but still think they drink the best port ever made Wink Wink I still enjoyed it, but it lost it complexity.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

My TN from the BBR offline, August 2005:
A bit rusty and old on the nose. Lots of leather and wet earth. The sweetness only comes out later. When tasting it I wondered whether this bottle was slightly corked. Dusty, old leather and candied sugar. Not to my liking
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

My note from the BBR off-line:
I've got "sour, mean, dusty and unpleasant" and suspected that there was something off about it. I generally like Graham's.