1970 Graham

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1970 Graham's VP

Post by RonnieRoots »

My TN from the BBR offline. August 2005:
Definitely the oldest nose of the 1970's. A bit dusty, lots of secondary aroma's and some dried nettle. Oof, this tastes sweet. Candied sugar, slightly hot, and sweet, sweet, sweet. Not my cup of tea (and sorry David, not something I would bring to a first date...).
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

My notes from BBR:
Very dark like a Ruby but the major comment I have written down is "Too bloody sweet, like sucking boiled sweets" This could be because it was tasted after all the drier ports. Sweetness overwhelmed everything.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

From Crusting Pipe off-line:
Pitch black, OK not quite but was the obvious choice for the Fonseca. Swilling around the glass it was... gloopy, aha! Nose was sweet cherry... uhu! In the mouth it was sweet and viscose and I picked it as the Graham's straight out. This was notably a better bottle than we had at the Berry Brothers and Rudd tasting in August and this with the 66 are putting me back onto Graham's after being less impressed then. I earn one brownie point for this spot. Now how to lose it.