1977 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1977 Croft

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted around Christmas 2004:
Somewhat dark core with still a bit of red in it, gradually moving to orange/brown at the rim. It smells very old: lots of leather, some roasted coffee, some green (herbal) notes. Don't get much fruit on the nose. Again old tones in the taste: leather, tobacco, coffee. Fruit has dried out, some dried figs and dates remain. The finish is too hot and dusty.

LadyR and I bought this a while ago for short term drinking, and that's apparently a good thing. Although I didn't expect a masterpiece, I was disappointed by it. Not the best of bottles perhaps. 80 points.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I think you had a badly kept bottle. The one we had a couple of months ago was lovely. Some similar characteristics but they were in balance. I'll go and find the note and attach it.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Of course this may just have been an exceptionally good bottle:
Croft Vintage Port 1977

Double decanted in the morning.

Another beautiful-looking Croft VP. There is an orange tinge when you pour this which is just so pretty. Lighter than most 1977s it is still a full-bloodied port. Cherry brandy and plums on the nose. In the mouth it is balanced with tannins and acids, drier than expected but very elegant. Still has years left in it but drinking well. Sneaked in some Colston Basset Stilton (Neal's Yard special with animal rennet) which was superb and the Croft went wonderfully. Also had some Montgomery cheddar, which is astonishing stuff and the Croft went well again.