The right order

Anything to do with Port.
Delinquent
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

The right order

Post by Delinquent »

Its me again..

A good friend comes by this weekend. So I made a little line-up of some Ports we'll try.
As I am not yet that experienced - my question is about the order of them. Is there a particular order how to try them?

I've prepared 6 bottles:

- Taylor VP 1955
- Eira Velha VP 1982
- Dalva Presidential 40y
- Barros Colheita 1960
- Quinta de la Rosa LBV 1994

In which order would you try them?

Regards

E.G. I'm coming from Whisky where the line-up is quite simple compared to Port, for me at least ;)
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: The right order

Post by flash_uk »

Hi Delinquent, opinions differ on this one. I tend to go oldest to youngest with VP, for two reasons. First, older wines can fade quickly once poured, so catching them early can reduce the risk of a poor glass. Second, the younger VPs tend to be more tannic and powerful whereas the older VPs will often have lots of delicate primary and tertiary flavours. These can be harder to appreciate if the palate has previously been hammered with a purple tannic beast!

The TWAIOA I could take at the beginning or the end.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Our normal procedure here in the US is VP first from oldest to youngest, followed by tawnies from youngest to oldest.

The reasoning is as flash said - younger VPs tend to be tannic and powerful, which can affect your palate and make it more difficult to appreciate older VPs if served in that order. Ergo, serve the older VP first. Similar reasoning puts Tawnies after VPs - in very general terms they tend to be more acidic and heavier, especially with age, so are best served after the VP flight and with the oldest (i.e. the heaviest and most concentrated) last.

So my order for your Ports would be:

1. 1955 Taylor
2. 1982 Eira Velha
3. 1994 Quinta de la Rosa LBV

(it wouldn't hurt to schedule a short break at this point)

4. Presidential 40 Year Old Tawny Port
5. 1960 Barros Colheita
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Royal Mail has recently been slow about deliveries to me. Please PM my invitation.    ;–)

I expect the weakest and lightest will be the ’82, so that first. Having started with vintage continue with that: next the ’55, then the ’94. Finally the two wood-aged, but I have no opinion about which way round. And Glenn is expert, so the Presidential 40Y followed by the 1960 Barros colheita.

① Eira Velha VP 1982
② Taylor VP 1955
③ Quinta de la Rosa LBV 1994
④ Dalva Presidential 40y
⑤ Barros Colheita 1960

Would you like placemats made?
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

Thank you guys for your replies!

When we have a Whisky tasting, we always start with a "tongue opener" dram - a light with no more than 46% ABV. As this might also work with Port, I tend to go with the SQVP - as I as well expect it to be the weaker one, or I pour them both and decide from the nose.
LBV will be 3rd. For the last two I am uncertain - did anyone try the Presidential jet?

@jdaw1: Thank you for your offer to make placements - but as I don't pour them all together, this time it is not needed. I might get back to you next time ;) If you can make it until friday to Switzerland... feel free ;)

I do envy you guys - it is so much easier to get Port in the UK - here it is very hard and expensive...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Something I noticed when doing quite a lot of the virtual tastings that were offered last year was that almost all of the producers started with the youngest Port and worked back to the oldest. This slightly surprised me since I was always used to doing it the other way around.

I do think there is something to be said for a “tongue opener”, although the difficulties in calibrating your palate to Port are much less stark than whisky where you can have some real burn of the first few sips.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Delinquent wrote: 19:54 Wed 07 Jul 2021but as I don't pour them all together
You have asked for advice. Perhaps more important than the ordering: have enough glasses = number people × number wines + a few spares. And pour them all together, so that you can compare and contrast and go back and argue and change your mind and reconsider. And all over again.

Hence:
(Some details guessed; some missing. You know what to do.)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

What year were the two tawny’s bottled? For me that could alter their place in the line up.
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

Oh dear... thank you very much for the placemats! Listen to you I will - they will be poured at once. Bare with me with the tasting Notes, I'll try but I might struggle. :-) What is that cross for - any specific meaning or just a space holder?

@Andy: It has been bottled in 1999 - so 39y old.
@JacobH: That might be the case, yes. It just came to my mind that this might be useful.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Delinquent wrote: 05:55 Thu 08 Jul 2021 @Andy: It has been bottled in 1999 - so 39y old.
Both? The Presidential? Or the 1960 Barros Colheita?

(Generically, "Tawny" refers to both Tawnies With An Indication Of Age aka TWAIOA, e.g. a 40 Year Old, but also to Colheitas. They're both aged in wood and therefore Tawny Port.)

Whichever one has spent 39 years in bottle should be served first, I think, with the fresher bottle saved for last.
Glenn Elliott
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

Damn, forgot to look at the Presidential... but i think it has been bottled around 2020 - as i bought it in 2020 in a shop.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

So the 1960 Barros spent 39 years in wood and now has an additional 22 years in bottle?

Yeah, I'd serve that before the Presidential and save the Presidential for last.
Glenn Elliott
Delinquent

Post by Delinquent »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:22 Thu 08 Jul 2021 So the 1960 Barros spent 39 years in wood and now has an additional 22 years in bottle?

Yeah, I'd serve that before the Presidential and save the Presidential for last.
Correct - thx for your advise :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

When mixing tawnies and vintage in the same lineup, something to freshen and cleanse the palate between glasses is desirable.

Water works, but a cheap and cheerful chilled vinho verde would be my choice for that lineup.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill